This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashford - Most members, but worst trails
So then Ashford. For somewhere with probably more members than any other place on Sketchy, it sure has a lack of places to ride.

With a combination of being busy at work, other social activities and being a one car family (the wife's). I often find it a struggle to get out on weekday evening rides, and with no where really easily accessible to bike to, I don't get out as much as I should.

Some of you must have some XC loops that involve a good bit of distance around your part of town. Somewhere different, obviously this being Ashford there will probably be a fair bit of road linking them all together.

So inspire me.
I don't actually ride there much but it is smack bang in the middle of the countryside.

A concerted effort to have a look around would probably turn up a couple of good xc loops.

BBH etc are good because several riders have pooled there knowledge to create some really very good routes that are a product of many many hours of saddle time by several people in a wide area.

Basically as you say, get together and go ride....

Only problem is that DH bikes are not ideal for searching out good routes.      Wink
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Looking on the OS map you have the Warren then a couple of other woods just to the west of it then up to Hothfield common. May not be able to ride through all of it but worth checking out. I find a combination of OS and Google maps is great for finding woods etc. Sometimes you find they are all blocked off, other times you find great trails even if the woods look tiny on paper.

Charing and Kings wood if you go north, tons of other woods south, few miles on the road yes but worth it...
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:several riders have pooled there knowledge to create some really very good routes that are a product of many many hours of saddle time by several people

That is exactly what I was hoping for.
Pm Flintlock, as we often start KT rides from Ashford. Think one of the routes took us past the glided club to Wye, then up onto the North Downs Way coming out at Chillam, then a bit of road and back a different route along the NDW down into Wye again then another bit of road back into Ashford. Was mostly offroad with the inevitable road link ups but was good fun, about 35 miles so that'd a weekend one, but there is so good trails around the Glides Club.
I was up kings wood last night trying to explore a bit - some nice trails there.

I used to make the mistake of going round the main bit from the large car park - but always coming across dog walkers - so went further down the hill & its much better.  

I dont know it well enough to string much together yet but will keep having a look, in this weather its easy to get out in the evening when drop boys at scouts/cubs etc fo a quick 60 - 90 mins.
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:Only problem is that DH bikes are not ideal for searching out good routes.      Wink

Makes for a good walk though....... Wink
&quot;redwinnie&quot; Wrote:So then Ashford. For somewhere with probably more members than any other place on Sketchy, it sure has a lack of places to ride.

With a combination of being busy at work, other social activities and being a one car family (the wife's). I often find it a struggle to get out on weekday evening rides, and with no where really easily accessible to bike to, I don't get out as much as I should.

Some of you must have some XC loops that involve a good bit of distance around your part of town. Somewhere different, obviously this being Ashford there will probably be a fair bit of road linking them all together.

So inspire me.

8 weeks until SITS.  Nough said  ;D
&quot;Laggingbehind&quot; Wrote:8 weeks until SITS.  Nough said  ;D

Don't worry, I have already started planning which cakes and which make of custard I will be taking.

Kings Wood is good but its a 9 mile ride each way. That unfortunately takes it out of couple of hours ride in the evening territory, because there would be hardly any time there to enjoy the woods before heading home. This is my problem, don't always have access to the car.
&quot;redwinnie&quot; Wrote:Don't worry, I have already started planning which cakes and which make of custard I will be taking.

Kings Wood is good but its a 9 mile ride each way. That unfortunately takes it out of couple of hours ride in the evening territory, because there would be hardly any time there to enjoy the woods before heading home. This is my problem, don't always have access to the car.

phew... you'll be fine then  Big Grin