This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of quick decking question
Morning All

I'm decking the back garden and have a couple of quick questions before I start building the frame work.  The joists are going the length (7.5m) of the garden (there will be 5 in total) and two sides of the garden are lined with a wall, the other a fence.  Where the joist will run along the side the wall I will be screwing it into the wall and along the fence I was planning on putting some posts in every 1 or 1.5 metres.

How deep do you reckon the posts should go in and should I concrete them in?

I need to get some membrane as well, whats best to use?

Cheers All  Smile
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Always cut mine giving about a foot in the ground then the width of a decking board above.  Any cheap weed suppressor will do
I was also advised to cover the membrain in a layer of pea shingle which stops slugs & snail living & breeding underneath
IMHO you could be making it more complicated than necessary.
Digging holes, concreting in posts & fixing all sides is a lot of work & the whole thing will be fixed.

If you're not raising it very high use concrete blocks bedded on drymix. These are easy to get level & you can then build a completely free floating frame on top of them, not actually fixed to anything.
This all provides adjustability until you start fixing boards on top.

You can also use cheap  paving slabs bedded on drymix or sand.

Blue dpm with pea shingle on top between or under the frame, but put a garden fork through it to drain.

Suggestions - hire a nail gun & a chop saw if you don't have 'em Wink

[edit] You're welcome to borrow my chopsaw, dependent upon timescales [edit]
I screwed my decking to two walls, one 2.4m of fixing the other 6m. The other two sides that are not fixed against the wall are supported by small fence posts simply knocked into the ground, added support comes from paving slabs and bricks resting on the ground.