This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike service maintenance.  Ashford
I have had my bike for about 9 months and have developed a creaking or clicking noise when pedaling.  Halfords in Ashford believe it to be the left crank arm, BB or both.  They can't repair till 21st June.  He stated it shouldn't cost more than £50 for both.  I was wondering as their are alot of Ashford residents on Sketchy where do you all get your bikes serviced or repaired when you canb't do it yourself.  I personally don't mind getting my hands dirty but lack the equipment and in many areas the knowledge.  I was thinking of getting the bike serviced for the first time while i am at it.
What bike is it Jim ?, I can't see how a crank arm would cause a click but I have had that exact problem with a halfords bike which took 5 mins to fix and no new parts but depends on bb . Having bike serviced anywhere is expensive but avoid halfrauds like the plague and consider doing it yourself.

give us some more details and we might be able to order advice
Check saddle/seatpost first... strip, clean and rebuild.
The cheap BB that are in some of the halfords own bike will click if there is even a tiny bit of grit inside. My Mrs bike did it, strip the BB which is axle type and put it back together and the click goes. If its the same problem you feel a click when the cranks rotate, sometimes you can here the click but you feel it through the pedal, does that sound like what you have ?
The bike is a GT Avalanche 1.0 2009 from paulcycles.co.uk.  As I said before not sure about doing much maintenance myself as have no experience so limited to just doing the basics. I have removed pedals oiled and refitted and no change. Have to admit haven't touched seat post so will try that. Bike hasn't't really covered more than a few hundred miles so not totally convinced by damaged parts. What tools are needed for removing and cleaning BB as you have suggested?  Is a bike service really needed yearly.
Right firstly ignore what I said about cleaning, I assumed you bought from halfords and it was one of their own. Your Gt is much better spec, I've looked up your spec and it states its an fsa sealed cartridge bb with fsa alpha drive cranks. you can't do anything to current bb and if its worn it will need replacing.

I can't find full spec to know whether its isis or square taper bb. You need a couple of tools namely a crank puller and bb tool. It's an easy job but only if you have the tools. Activ in folkestone are good but obviously you'll pay labour etc.

Halfords seem expensive and the fact they said you might need new crank arm is concerning.
Took the bike to Cranbrook cycles in Ashford this morning and they stated very quickly after riding bike that it was the BB.  So hopefully come this evening i will have the bike back in working order and ready to get dirty at the earliest opportunity.  
"Welshjim22" Wrote:Took the bike to Cranbrook cycles in Ashford this morning and they stated very quickly after riding bike that it was the BB.  So hopefully come this evening i will have the bike back in working order and ready to get dirty at the earliest opportunity.  

Wheres Cranbrook cycles?
"Hardtailstar" Wrote:Wheres Cranbrook cycles?

Map
"Welshjim22" Wrote:Took the bike to Cranbrook cycles in Ashford this morning and they stated very quickly after riding bike that it was the BB.  So hopefully come this evening i will have the bike back in working order and ready to get dirty at the earliest opportunity.  

Glad you managed to get it sorted  ;D