This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shimano M545 SPD Pedals
Hi All

I'am looking at trying clipless, but I like idea of having a platform pedal. I was looking at the Shimano M545 SPD Pedals £40 @ merlin.
Can anyone recommend these or any other cliples/platform pedal.

Mark
Platform pedals make clipping in easier as they help to line up the cleats. They are not very good as a platform if thats what your thinking, even for the moments inbetween being clipped in.

Ive had m545, m647 and I have now m985s, all platform spd pedals.
I have a set of m647's - like captain scarlet they are indestructable, taken more hits than Mohamed Ali & they still perform 100%.  

Heavy buggers though.  The spd bit sets itself up at an angle to the platfporm which makes it dead easy to clip in but dont think about doing any serious riding with non clippy shoes - the spd bit like I say pokes out so its not a flat platform.  Down the shop for a pint of milk ok, but nothing more.
What is the difference between the M545 and the M647?
"Reckless" Wrote:What is the difference between the M545 and the M647?

102  Big Grin Big Grin

Sorry not helping am I
Not sure but there should be spec info on the Shimano website
The m647 uses the newer binding design, its noticeably better at shedding mud than the m545 which tends to clog up and makes clipping in almost impossible until you clean them with a stick. The m647 also has a larger platform and is stronger but it is alot heavier.

I would go for the m647 if you are not to worried about weight.
I think I will get the M647, but as I have not used clipless before, any tips before I go off road.

Mark
"Reckless" Wrote:I think I will get the M647, but as I have not used clipless before, any tips before I go off road.

Mark

Its been about 23 years since i went through the spd process but i would suggest you ride easy trails at a gentle pace first. You will almost definately fall
off. Practice disengaging a lot. The sooner it becomes instinctive the better. And dont go anywhere near traffic for a while.
At the same time enjoy the fact that you will never worry about pedal/foot position again and you will feel like you are pedalling and climbing much more efficiently.
And finally be proud that you are no longer on flats...which are inferior....
wear your knee pads too, when you topple slowly and gracelessly over you can get your knee out to break your fall, still embarassing, but not painful.
Keep it foolish...