This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frame warranty labour costs - who should pay?
Carring on a theme from a recent "New Bike" thread here...

My boss has a cracked Giant frame that they have agreed to replace under warranty.  He's a bit put out that the labour for the bike shop to swap over the components will be charged to him at standard rates.  For the many members that have had warranty replacement frames - did you have to pay the bike shop to swap the components over or did they / manufacturers absorb the costs?
Halfords swapped my bits over at no cost to me.
have had to pay for consumables i.e gear cables and such like.
I had a crash replacement frame & had to pay for the swop - though they done it half price.
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:have had to pay for consumables i.e gear cables and such like.

Did you pay for labour as well?
Single so never had a new car with warranty but afaik you don't pay anything there. Ive had multiple forks sorted/swapped on warranty where I had to pay the postage most of the time but that was it. If the frame was supplied as a full bike I see no reason at all why the customer should pay to have the components swapped over and I would refuse to pay. If you bought it as a frame alone then thats different.
"Breezer" Wrote:Single so never had a new car with warranty but afaik you don't pay anything there. Ive had multiple forks sorted/swapped on warranty where I had to pay the postage most of the time but that was it. If the frame was supplied as a full bike I see no reason at all why the customer should pay to have the components swapped over and I would refuse to pay. If you bought it as a frame alone then thats different.

I agree with that - & with trek that was my argument.  They were having none of it though, said they never pay for the swop.  

Have to say their customer services was rubbish.  Then there was the fact I'd bought the bike from 1 dealer & had the replacement arranged through another - so the dealer had no reason to do anything free for me - they done it half price as I think they felt sorry for me & also they may get return business.  (Activ folkestone - good lads) But trek themselves - they dont give a dam.
I would build it back up myself, I have never received a bike from a bike shop either new or serviced that was set up properly and problem free.
"pittgoat" Wrote:Did you pay for labour as well?

No, not thet i can remember anyway. I have always just been glad to get the bike back.
When my Marin cracked and was replaced back in April,the Marin importers/main agents did all the work for nothing.