This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital SLR cameras
Right Sarah's birthday in July and she wants a digital camera, and SLR one? Something I know very little about. I know there are some photographers on here so tell me what you know......

What should I look for mex pix wise, or any other key features I should look out for?

Budget really is only £170-£200. She reckons it'll be her hobby but I can't see her sticking with it so don't want to spend the earth.
I have a Canon eos 400 I think, its lovely, but was 2nd hand.new dslr are quite expensive I think.
Keep it foolish...
For that money you won't come close to a DSLR... need to add a nought.

Try looking at something like the Lumix TZ range for something that'll give you good manual options. You will need to buy a bundle so look at a camera about £50 cheaper than you want and add a good memory card, case and battery.

On DSLR you could pick up a sensible second hand bundle with lens, you'd be looking at something about 3 to 4 years old that would get her started.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;alkali&quot; Wrote:I have a Canon eos 400 I think, its lovely, but was 2nd hand.new dslr are quite expensive I think.

These are great cameras, use them at work, had a 400mm lens on one the other day and very impressed
I'll do a full reply to this during the week when I have more time. But if she defo wants DSLR in that price range you will have to go 2nd hand I'm afraid. There are a lot of options here so don't rush into anything yet.
If I were purchasing a camera I'd go for a canon G9 or if I were looking for DSLR I'd go for something second hand, canon's are good for around 250,000 actuations so if you can find a well looked after DSLR thats had no more than around 15,000 you'd be laffing - IMO!
As above, you're looking at second hand for that price range.
Just be aware that the camera is the cheap bit, the lenses will hugely outweigh the price of the camera.
I made the mistake of buying budget glass with my first camera, I the end I sold the lot and started again.
There are cheap, good quality lenses out there, the 500mm f1.8 for example (certainly for Nikon & Canon, anyway) is available for just under £100.00 and is pin sharp but a large telephoto with large aperture can easily set you back the price of a family hatchback...

A DSLR probably isn't the best choice if you think she's not that serious to be honest, some of the "bridge cameras" (kind of like a DSLR but with a fixed zoom lens) offer lots of features and excellent image quality for a low price.
I'd personally recommend the Nikon Coolpix L110 (or it's newer replacement) or similar, it has amazing image quality, takes everything from macro's to perfectly passable moon shots for around the £200.00 mark. Plus, it's easy to get on with.

HTH

Chris
As Chris has said above, I have one of these Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ28 Its a couple of models old now but takes good shots from close up and the telephoto is not that bad, also does HD video Wink Should be about your budget level as well.
Thanks for the replies. I had no idea what SLR meant before googling it so had even less of an idea about costs.

So next question then is on a cameras like the Nikon Coolpix or the Lumix what are the key features they have and what should I look of for on other cameras?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/slr/consumer/d3100">http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/produ ... umer/d3100</a><!-- m --> she likes this? They sponsor Hollyoaks which is where she got the idea.

EDIT No chance just seen the price!
[quote=&quot;]I'll do a full reply to this during the week when I have more time. But if she defo wants DSLR in that price range you will have to go 2nd hand I'm afraid. There are a lot of options here so don't rush into anything yet.[/quote&quot;]

Thanks Jimmy. I will be buying in July after pay day.