This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Waterproof Jacket?
As above, I have some man maths to spend on a new, long-term waterproof xc jacket.

Im a bit of an Endura fanboy now, as their stuff is very robust.

I had the staple Altura Nevis for a fair while, which simply rotted and fell apart with use.

Im all ears, whats everyone recommending at the moment?
get a cheap one, you'll be sweating like a P.I.G. in any of them, at least if it's cheap then you'll not be too fussed if / when you catch it on a bush. I wear a waterproof virtually everyday in Glasgow (honestly, I've worn my summer jacket for less that 2 weeks this year) even just to walk to work i can feel my pits begining to steam. I have pit zips which help, but it's over £120 of jacket and is superlightweight and it's still sweaty as Gary Glitter at 15:30
Keep it foolish...
Sound advice, I was looking to spend IRO of £100 -but then remembered the one I did have, did serve me well for a good few years I guess.

Therefore, bearing that in mind, Ive opted for the Altura Night Vision Evo.

Its a decent mid range price and offers all the usual taped seams, venting and pit zips etc.

Also comes with the worlds largest amount of reflective additions to it....

It was £69, which is a favourable number of mine, I also want to look like Tron.....

[media width=500]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWT-FxvGkPU&feature=related[/media]
good choice and a sensible figure, nightvision is a good bonus too.
Keep it foolish...
Best thing I ever did was give up on waterproof jackets. I use a Gillet and nothing more *. If its raining just MTFU and get wet! You're a sodding Mountain Biker man!  Wink

* aside from shorts, helmet, shoes etc
"Blackers" Wrote:Best thing I ever did was give up on waterproof jackets. I use a Gillet and nothing more *. If its raining just MTFU and get wet! You're a sodding Mountain Biker man!  Wink

* aside from shorts, helmet, shoes etc

Debatable Wink

I recall our gilet discussion at the bedge 12hr, you argue a very valid case.

Might look at an entry level one to see any differences.

If yours a waterproof one or what?
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Debatable Wink

I recall our gilet discussion at the bedge 12hr, you argue a very valid case.

Might look at an entry level one to see any differences.

If yours a waterproof one or what?
Mine is waterproof but its kind of irrelevant. I found I sweated more in a waterproof jacket meaning I was wet anyway. And hot! I ride in the winter with just one top and a gillet unless its stupid cold, in which case I sit and watch tv.
I have a windprood / waterproof gilet and it's very good, only the coldest days get through. Mine's karrimor or something similar, cost about £20 but might have been sale.
Keep it foolish...
I have a red Altura Night Vision Evo jacket. I brought it more for its reflective properties rather than its water proofness. It is very good quality. It is also a lot thicker/warmer than I though it would be, consequently I would say it is brilliant for winter riding (like I do for work), but I wouldn't recommend it for summer riding in the rain. A real light weight one is what you need for than, and the night vision certainly isn't that.
My thoughts from the road are the gillet; I love them!  My one is a yellow commuting one but the concept is the same - I find them more airy and breathable than a sleeved number.  Mine has detachable sleeves, which I've never used.  

When it rains my arms get wet...but they go brown in the sun.

....sweating like Glitter at 1530.....CLASSIC!!!!!Ha Ha Ha