This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need PC help
Hi guys, I'm calling the most geeky amongst you to help me with my computer. It is taking a VERY long time to boot up (almost 10 minutes) and this seems to have come about following my uninstallation of kaspersky antivirus (using free edition = loads of annoying requests to buy = uninstall). Can anyone recommend a solution. I'm running vista (eugh).

Here's a picture of a kumquat as payment for your help.

Keep it foolish...
AVG antivirus and Spybot search and destroy report nothing
Keep it foolish...
My netbook was taking ages to boot up when I was in Thailand. Turned out to have an ants nest in it. Check for ant nests.
All appears to be beasty free.
Keep it foolish...
I'm all out of ideas then.  Tongue
thanks none the less
Keep it foolish...
You deserve no help as you are running Vista. No idea why it would be slower now that you have removed the AV software! Try some basic stuff like a defrag and killing any apps which run on startup that you dont need, hijackthis is a quick way to find whats set to run. The windowssearch service could be running amok, that normally cripples PC's and I just disable the service most of the time as the search in vista/7 is utter sh1te anyway
defrag is interesting, i have tried several times and it gives the me finger message that 'defrag is unnecessary', just bloody well do it you stupid computer!
Keep it foolish...
Try downloading malwarebytes, got rid of a load of rubbish on mine and free to download
try running Combofix to search for viruses its a free download then Auslogics to defrag it which is another free download which in my opinion works better than the windows one and then lastly download Microsofts security essentials for your antivirus which is also a free download.

Hope that helps.