This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MTB shoes worth it over Trainers
Hi lads just looking at getting a pair of Shimano AM41 flat sole MTB shoes but unsure if they are worth it.  I currently wear just a pair of trainers which are easy to clean.  Is their any real benefit?
Proper bike shoes will have stiffer soles to aid power transfer (or so it says on the box Tongue)
I've gone half and halg and wear walking shoes instead of trainers. They often have bigger grips and are tougher wearing. I took this route mainly as they were cheaper. Im currently wearing these <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-rongbuk-mens-183304">http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-rongbuk-mens-183304</a><!-- m --> there are very hard wearing, and the soles are pretty stiff too.

Most people on here will say 5.10's are the best shoes to wear.
Karrimor Walking shoes from Sports Direct : Cheap and grippy - I loved them before going to SPD's.
Five ten impacts - down to £71 on wiggle at the moment. I have these and love them, they are so much gripper than trainers, which is something I would never have believed when combined with my superstar nano pedals. If you ride enough to justify the cost I would recommend them. They are much more robust and waterproof when compared to trainers.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/five-ten-impact-low-mtb-shoes/
Five ten shoes are by far the best they stick to your pedals like dog doo to your tyres. Tried riding spd for a while but would chicken out on taking turns fast being able to dab your foot or hitting jumps the options to bail Sad. Normal trainers don’t even come close.
I find my skaters trainers (Adio) are far more grippy than my sports direct karimor walkers shoes. FAR more grippy. I can only imagine how well the 5.10s perform although I think it would be hard to get even more grip than I'm already getting.
[quote=&quot;]I find my skaters trainers (Adio) are far more grippy than my sports direct karimor walkers shoes. FAR more grippy. I can only imagine how well the 5.10s perform although I think it would be hard to get even more grip than I'm already getting.[/quote&quot;]

On the five tens they make the soles from stealth rubber it’s like the rubber they use on climbing shoes, have heard some people say they find them to gripy they prefer skate shoes as it’s easier to wiggle your foot into place if you place it wrong. Think it’s just a personal preferences thing.
Thanks for all the replies although sadly i will be spending money on a new crankset and some new tools as mtb shoes with a broken bike won't make much difference.  I will however, bare in mind all your suggestions come the next payday.
Its got to be 510's. I use to ride in trainers and my legs always had great chunks out of them from peddle slips. I have had my 510's a year and I cannot remember the last injury from a peddle. They take a bit of getting used to. When you put your foot on the peddle you cannot wiggle it into place. You have to pick your foot up and replace it as they are so grippy.