This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any sparks about? electrical question
Bit baffled.... Im replacing all our upstairs switches n sockets to spangley black annodized jobbies.

Im looking at the landing lightswitch which is an intermediate switch, which controls the light from either upstairs or downstairs.

The wiring guide doesnt quite follow what wiring already exists.

Can some bright "spark" help me out?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />   
Are there 3 switches on the circuit?
That would be a switch up stairs, a switch on the landing & a switch downstairs all for one light fitting?
So that's probably more than 2 storeys.

What you show appears to be a normal 2 way switch.
That would be 2 switches. One at the top if the stairs & one at the bottom.

Assuming it is a 2 way (I can't see how it would operate as an intermediate) in essence move the cables between the same numbers terminals. L1 to L1 etc...
It likely that the old switch is labelled Com, L1 & L2.
If this is the case transfer com to L1, L1 to L2 & L2 to L3.

I can't remember if a intermediate switch will work as a 2 way, but it should.
Only 2 switches on the circuit, one upstairs, one down. They both control the ceiling light on the landing.

?
That what I thought. It's 2 way switch not annimtermediate.
I've edited the previous post with instructions Wink
(I pressed the post key to early)
On the existing switched, pictured, i have one yellow wire in "common", a black and a blue in "2 way" and 2 red wires in "1 way" so how would that correspond with the L references on the new switch?
"BMJBOY" Wrote:On the existing switched, pictured, i have one yellow wire in "common", a black and a blue in "2 way" and 2 red wires in "1 way" so how would that correspond with the L references on the new switch?

Com = L1
1 Way = L2
2 Way = L3
Oh! And when changing from plastic to metal plates it's really important to make sure there's an earth present.
There must be a green/yellow cable going to the terminal within the wall box, otherwise do not fit the metal plate.
Tinc is right on all counts Ben, but you MUST EARTH THE FACE PLATE
Although metallic looking, they feel plastic, but wont harm in ensuring theyre earthed
"Feel" plasticy maybe, but by the look if the earthing on the back they are metal.
I believe the current correct arrgt is to run the earth cable to the terminal on the back of the switchplate.
An acceptable alternative is to run an extra earth cable from the terminal in the wall box to the switch plate.
A get out of jail without dying is to ensure the earth cable is fixed to the wall box, fit the faceplate & ONLY then turn on the power. BUT this means you, nor anyone else, can remove the face plate with the power on for the rest of time.
If there is no earth in the wall box DO NOT fit any metal faceplates anywhere until you've had the installation checked by a qualified sparks.
This is not a wind up or "good practice", it could the difference between life & death.