This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boardman FS Pro 2011
Well, after faffing a bit yesterday and changing some bits I've been hooning about on my estate getting things set up and I am VERY impressed. Compared to the 2009/10 I had before this one feels more nimble, better balanced and pretty much intuitive to ride. As an indication of this, I don't do jumpsand drops but I was leaping off the steps outside the houses on my 2nd pass!

Brakes have plenty in reserve but I am struggling to get enough heat in the front to get it properly bedded in, but that'll come. The forks/shock work as they should and respond to tuning just as you'd expect.

My only negative only notes so far are that the seatstays are similar geometry to the Zesty, wide at the back end, so it's easy to rub them with heels if your feet are anything but straight, so clear tape has been applied. Also, being a 2 x 10 the chainline is anything but straight when running big ring with the larger end of the sprockets or small ring and the smaller end of the sprockets... this should be avoided anyway but it does mean you end up having to use the overlap.
That was an issue I thought I would have with the Zesty (and did tape it) but only ever caught my heels a couple of times and I ride heels in and toes pointing out if you follow and im a correct size 12

Chainline sounds odd. With a 3 ring chainset converted to 2 you always use the granny and middle so the chainlines not bad even when in the larger front ring and towards the biggest at the back. I dont see why a dedicated twin ring chainset would delibrately have a wider stance, maybe the BB spacers are set wrong or something?
I've rubbed the chainstay once on the right (my dodgey angled foot) so stopped immediately and taped both.

Chainline will be invetigated this week - should NOT give that kind of issue, as you say it's a dedicated setup, hopefully it's more in the mech alignment that it's a bit noisy. Once the cables have settled it should be possible to dial-out unless there is a spacing issue... will have more tinkering time this week as brought it north with me to enjoy ;D
Did they simply replace the frame, or did you get a new bike out of it?
Sounds like a more confidence inspiring ride, which is always a good thing. Nice one fella.
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:Did they simply replace the frame, or did you get a new bike out of it?
Sounds like a more confidence inspiring ride, which is always a good thing. Nice one fella.

Complete new bike, not much of the 2010 bits would fit a 2011 and why would I go for that when I can have an all new bike?! As I said elsewhere, patience is a virtue.

Will be out on a longish XC tomorrow evening so will have more review material then.
1st proper ride 05 July 2011. I am no expert but here are is my report:

Mixed surfaces ride wet and dry! As this was the first proepr ride I kept the tyre pressures slightly higher than I would normally so I could assess suspension behaviour and response to changes.

Tarmac: A bit too much bobbing from the rear suspension - I suppose this serves to encourage smoother pedalling technique but I do miss the lockout on the old shock.

Gravel & mud tracks: Good balanced behaviour on all undulations although the forks did manage to ping me off the top of one rise so slowed the rebound a bit, this brought it more under control immediately.

Woods & fields: Again, well balanced front/rear in terms of damping and flow. Rear shock changes to rebound damping very noticable. Some lack of front-end grip leading to sudden wash-out at fairly low speeds. This is most likely a combination of poor riding and high tyre pressures.

Brakes: Excellent in wet and dry - now seem to be well bedded but will be checked.

My only real gripe is that the cable runs around the headtube/forks are rubbish - everything is rubbing on the top of the forks which is going to wear stuff out. Bits that can be taped already are but on the LHS the rear brake pipe is rubbing the fork air cap and teh chainstay so some extra clipping or other measures will be needed to get this away from that and prevent damage.

A post ride check will take place tonight or tomorrow to check that everyhing is still bolted together, find any cable rubs that are not taped and check that pads, discs and other moving bits are all operating correctly.
Thanks for the detailed review Mr Monkey, sounds like you're getting on just fine with the new steed! Glad you wangled an entire new bike, was that replaced by Halfords/Boardman, or did you insurance it?
On the lack of lock-out, can you adjust the floodgate to stop it activating so easily, reducing bob?

I'm actually considering using the C2W to grab a Boardman FS Team as they're on the money & seem well rated.
Seem a bit heavy at 29lb, but what can you expect for £1k !!

Looked at the other options and without spending double that, nothing's even near the spec :o
They're not even ugly any more, so all my old gripes are well n truly gone.
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:Thanks for the detailed review Mr Monkey, sounds like you're getting on just fine with the new steed! Glad you wangled an entire new bike, was that replaced by Halfords/Boardman, or did you insurance it?

I'm actually considering using the C2W to grab a Boardman FS Team as they're on the money & seem well rated.
Seem a bit heavy at 29lb, but what can you expect for £1k !!

Looked at the other options and without spending double that, nothing's even near the spec :o
They're not even ugly any more, so all my old gripes are well n truly gone.

Warranty replacement via Halfords, presumably they will be reimbursed by Boardman thru the supply chain warranty process.

Although the bike feels a little heavier than the 2010, it is clearly better balanced and hopefully stronger. Looks like the 2010 FS frames were a bit close to minimal as there have been a number of reports of cracking of the seat tube around shock and pivot mountings plus my weld issue at top tube to seat tube joint, this could have also been related to weld quality but I think the tubes may have been a little on the thin side. The shocks seem to respond well to adjustments and the brakes are superb now they are bedding in nicely.
29+pedals+a bit more as no manufacturer is capable of using scales properly. Still light and good spec for the price though.
The more I read the more I want one!
I'm guessing they'll be uber popular, and seems you can only order them specifically thru halfrauds, but sounds like it's seriously worth getting one of these fab bargains!