This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropper post for the alps?
Hi everyone,

For those of you who have ridden in the alps, is it worth using a dropper post or do you lot take them off and run a standard seat post?

I'm off to Les Arcs on Friday, not too fussed about the up-hills as that is what chair lifts are for! Just wondering if you have to ride a fair bit of flat/uphill between trails?

Thanks

Hugh
"hugh_b" Wrote:Hi everyone,

For those of you who have ridden in the alps, is it worth using a dropper post or do you lot take them off and run a standard seat post?

I'm off to Les Arcs on Friday, not too fussed about the up-hills as that is what chair lifts are for! Just wondering if you have to ride a fair bit of flat/uphill between trails?

Thanks

Hugh
We had quite a bit of peddling between trails at Morzine etc so I was glad I took mine, even though it did look a bit out of place on a DH bike. Also comes in handy for peddling around town/to the pub/inevitable visit to the bike shop etc.

Wish I could come with you, have a great time mate and let us know what you think, its somewhere I would like to go one day. Are you driving or getting the Eurostar to Bourg Saint' morice?
Thanks...think i'll leave mine on then but will take the standard post incase it breaks  Big Grin

We are driving out on Friday evening. Renting an apartment for the week which is in Arcs 1600, fairly close to the lifts. I can't wait!

I'll be sure to get loads of chest cam footage Smile
"hugh_b" Wrote:Thanks...think i'll leave mine on then but will take the standard post incase it breaks  Big Grin

We are driving out on Friday evening. Renting an apartment for the week which is in Arcs 1600, fairly close to the lifts. I can't wait!

I'll be sure to get loads of chest cam footage Smile
Good man.
Put a standard one on less can break and ruin your day (Isnt that right Andy  Wink ) takes seconds to use a alan key and your not in a race like the Mega where i would take a dropper. To be honest id take spare spokes and make sure my chain device works ok and have a standard post. I only adjusted mine twice all week.
two or three flatish sections on trip: a mile or so between top of Super Morzine chair and top of Lindarets, 1/2 a mile or so between chalet and pub/lifts in flat Morzine (with a slight push up hill after Mutzig for 200 yds) and a mile or so after 8-10km Pila descent

with people getting off lifts etc and strapping fullfaces etc to packs for the bits whilst out riding there's no problem spending a few seconds adjusting standard posts for just these sections (plus we had a lot of waiting at times for punctures and chains coming off, other mechanicals etc)

might be a bit more up and down riding across trails in Les Arcs - but if riding downhill virtually all time/jumping etc then not sure if dropper benefits worth it considering wear and tear it might place on posts
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:Put a standard one on less can break and ruin your day (Isnt that right Andy  Wink ) takes seconds to use a alan key and your not in a race like the Mega where i would take a dropper. To be honest id take spare spokes and make sure my chain device works ok and have a standard post. I only adjusted mine twice all week.

Erm, nothing went wrong with my dropper Tongue I didn't plan on taking it anyway, just the two other posts weren't the right length so decided to run the dropper to save spending more money.

DEFINITELY make sure your chain device works properly as I used the double one off the Enduro on a single ring thinking it would be fine but I kept loosing the chain on the first braking bump which was REALLY annoying and had to shell out €169 on a new one Sad
"Treehugger" Wrote:Erm, nothing went wrong with my dropper Tongue I didn't plan on taking it anyway, just the two other posts weren't the right length so decided to run the dropper to save spending more money.

DEFINITELY make sure your chain device works properly as I used the double one off the Enduro on a single ring thinking it would be fine but I kept loosing the chain on the first braking bump which was REALLY annoying and had to shell out €169 on a new one Sad

and a new chain ring too??????
"mudhound" Wrote:and a new chain ring too??????
No that is only necessary if you are an idiot and forget what size ring you bought after buying a chain device for the smaller size :B
"Treehugger" Wrote:Erm, nothing went wrong with my dropper Tongue I didn't plan on taking it anyway, just the two other posts weren't the right length so decided to run the dropper to save spending more money.

But to be fair you had 2 days less riding than me, and it wont take much to smash up your dropper.