This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIKE SET UP
I have recently bought a 2007 specialized big hit 3 cause i wanted to get into downhill biking and some jumps..
Problem is im absolutely exhausted by the time i get anywhere..
Downhill is unreal but the minute the ground evens out or i come to a hill its really tough goin ...
Maybe there is some sort of set up that might make the bike a little bit better
Any help would be brill
Cheers
I think may struggle with this as the bike is primarly built for Dh and not for peddling about, especially uphill.
Yeah, any adjustments you make, like a longer stem or a higher seatpost, will be detrimental to what it's designed for. As you already said it feels great going down, don't compromise that just to make going up marginally better.

Pedal harder.
Keep it foolish...
Lighter wheels with tubeless trail tyres will probably make the biggest difference, or at the very least just some quicker rubber. Increase the low speed compression particularly on the rear shock.
"alkali" Wrote:Yeah, any adjustments you make, like a longer stem or a higher seatpost, will be detrimental to what it's designed for. As you already said it feels great going down, don't compromise that just to make going up marginally better.

Pedal harder.

Ha pedal harder is a must  ;D
When pedalling hard it feels like im gonna be thrown of the bike, Probably something to do with the adjustment rebound but i have no idea how to set up this , was also considering a stiffer spring
whats your weight including riding gear?
your shock stroke length?
and how much rear travel has the bike got?

A stiffer spring will just bounce you all over the trail assuming you have the correct one on at the moment. If you have got the correct spring just dial in some extra low speed compression assuming your shock has this adjustment.
[quote author=]whats your weight including riding gear?
your shock stroke length?
and how much rear travel has the bike got?

A stiffer spring will just bounce you all over the trail assuming you have the correct one on at the moment. If you have got the correct spring just dial in some extra low speed compression assuming your shock has this adjustment.[/quote]

14 stone including gear ,
there is a fox dhx 3.0 shock on the rear,
when i bought the bike he said it was approx 8" travel , i could be wrong though
looking at the specs for a 2007 big hit and using the figures you have given I reckon a 450lb spring would be spot on, with 1 turn of preload that would give you 30% sag, then as I already mentioned just dial in extra low speed compression when you are pedaling around. But tyres and wheels will make the biggest difference.

Edit: you are actually between springs and ideally a 475lb would be best. I tend to opt for a softer spring and just run more compression as I find a slightly stiff spring is less controllable than a slightly soft one.
"feery" Wrote:14 stone including gear ,
there is a fox dhx 3.0 shock on the rear,
when i bought the bike he said it was approx 8" travel , i could be wrong though
What weight spring has it got? Have a look at one of the spring calculators to ensure you have the right one. If the spring is too soft then the back end will bob massively which will make it harder to peddle. If you have the right spring then whack on a load of low speed compression until the bobbing is reduced. It sounds like your rebound is a bit too fast too if it feels like its trying to throw you off the bike when you peddle. As others have said, it's a DH/Freeride bike designed to go primarily downhill.
[quote="]looking at the specs for a 2007 big hit and using the figures you have given I reckon a 450lb spring would be spot on, with 1 turn of preload that would give you 30% sag, then as I already mentioned just dial in extra low speed compression when you are pedaling around. But tyres and wheels will make the biggest difference.[/quote"]

cheers for the info mate,,
much appreciated
will look into tyres, cant afford rims for a while though ,