This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creaky Cranks?
Morning All

I've had a funny creak coming from the bike for a few days now and this morning I tracked it down to the cranks. Any ideas what would have caused it in the first place, or is it just general wear and tear?

Its a M770 9spd with an XTR bb that was fitted about 3 months ago.

I plan to remove, clean and re fit in the hope this cures the creak.

Cheers All
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
"stayhigh65" Wrote:Morning All

I've had a funny creak coming from the bike for a few days now and this morning I tracked it down to the cranks. Any ideas what would have caused it in the first place, or is it just general wear and tear?

Its a M770 9spd with an XTR bb that was fitted about 3 months ago.

I plan to remove, clean and re fit in the hope this cures the creak.

Cheers All

Sounds like a good starting point!
what bike?
Heckler
Douse liberally in gr85, sortermakated.
Keep it foolish...
I would be surprised if it was the BB especially after only 3 months use. In my experience creaks are rarely caused by cranks/BB, its usually the saddle, then after that drive side pivots and dropouts. Check these over first as a precaution if you havent already. Loose dropouts/pivots often sound like creaky cranks as the noise travels through the frame.
The saddle does creak but this is most definately coming from the crank area.

The BB is stuill nice and smooth, its also clean now too.  It could be my chainring bolts too but that will have to wait until I have more time to free the buggers up.
Id second the fact you may want to inspect seatpost area and saddle at the same time.

I have a similar creaking/cracking sound, and from experience its probably higher up than you think.

Worth stripping the lot down and retightening just incase.
I thought I had a similar problem with my cranks, but traced it to one of the pedals.
"Neil" Wrote:I thought I had a similar problem with my cranks, but traced it to one of the pedals.

+1 I too had a creaking it turned out to be a pedal.