This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home brew!
Does anyone have any home brewing experience?  I fancy giving it a go and have been looking at bitter starter kits.  The more i read about it the more involved it seems which means it could be quite rewarding

Just wondered if anyone wants to share any tips or disaster stories?
YES ME!!

Did my first one just after moving house.

Get a full kit from Ebay (Homebrewonline I think its called)

Should include:

Bucket with tap
Barrell
Spoon
Hydrometer
Co2 gas
Tins of the gloopy beer stuff
Instructions
Disinfectant

For about £60-£70

Very simple, but crucial, its all in the prep.

Disinfect EVERYTHING thoroughly, including spoon etc, as the yeast will not work properly if the bacteria is affected (you probably know this mr scientist!)

After that, quite simple, follow the instructions.

Just dont keep opening the lid, and from personal experience, it takes much longer than the 3 weeks or so.  Once bubble stop forming, then transfer to barrel for clearing.

Overall takes approx 40 days, mine was longer.

What would I change this time?

I would use spring water instead of filtered tap water
Use more sugar next time (makes it stronger)  My current batch isnt very strong, but tastes good.

The CO2 cannister turns it into John Smiths Smooth, which is great, but lasts for about 6 pints per cannister.
40 days? Quicker to go to a shop? Does it work out really cheap per pint once made?
I'm thinking of one of these and a fermentation barrel to start with.  I've read about priming beer in 2L sterilised drinks bottles rather than a pressure barrel.  Will i be missing anythign essential?
"Breezer" Wrote:40 days? Quicker to go to a shop? Does it work out really cheap per pint once made?

Once you have the basic gear it can be pretty cheap (25p a pint ish?) but obviously the initial outlay counters that a bit.

For me its as much a project as a money saving exercise although cheap beer is always an incentive...
"pittgoat" Wrote:Once you have the basic gear it can be pretty cheap (25p a pint ish?) but obviously the initial outlay counters that a bit.

For me its as much a project as a money saving exercise although cheap beer is always an incentive...

Initial 40 pints are indeed about £2 per pint including equipment.

Subsequent 40 pints for £19 total = £0.48p and theres no cr@p in it.

Ive got that Woodfordes Micro brewery with the Wherry beer.

Id do it all in the bucket and barrel instead of messing with bottles - a mate did that, major faff in his opinion.

The barrel also serves a purpose too, its not just a container, the beer needs to clear and settle in there.
Treehugger refusing to use Google mode=on. Can you do this with lager as well?
"Breezer" Wrote:Treehugger refusing to use Google mode=on. Can you do this with lager as well?

Big Grin Big Grin
"Breezer" Wrote:Treehugger refusing to use Google mode=on. Can you do this with lager as well?

Lol yes, and wine - the kit does it all.

A friends lager was top notch, if a little too lively!

If you can force youself into a Wilkinsons, their homebrew section is the same as anyone elses, they sell it all!
Interesting. Trying to cut back on the beer though. I can imagine if I had to wait 40 days for it to be ready, the evening of the 40th day would be utter carnage possibly leading to a stomach pump or at the very least making myself ill like the time I discovered this thing for allowing you to microwave bacon so I had to find the perfect cooking time for bacon sarnies which required a lot of testing....