This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bent Disc
Is there a magic method for straightening a brake disc?

I tried the "bend-it-the-opposite-way" method but it's still not quite right.
Is it best to replace?
"impished" Wrote:Is there a magic method for straightening a brake disc?

I tried the "bend-it-the-opposite-way" method but it's still not quite right.
Is it best to replace?

Best is not to bend it to begin with Tongue

As I understand it, if bend the other way doesn't work then replace is the only real option.
[quote author=]

Best is not to bend it to begin with Tongue

As I understand it, if bend the other way doesn't work then replace is the only real option.[/quote]

Think I did it changing a tube t'other day.  dropped/threw wheel on ground and heard the disc 'twang'.  Thought nothing of it until I put some oil on the chain yesterday and the wheel stopped spinning almost instantly....

Think I'll stick a spare on, to be safe.
The bend it the other way method is the only way to do it & will work fine BUT you have to be slow, careful & quite precise.
You can buy tools for the job, but can also use a spanner or needle nose pliers.

It's a bit frustrating as you need to work with small areas & gradually strighten it rather than grabbing the "bent" bit & just tugging on it.
It's also worth remembering that "stright" or "flat" are very accurate terms.  The modifier "enough" is really very useful Wink
depends how far you've bent it....???
New superstar rotor : straight, cheap, bit bling.
There will always be a risk of cracking if you try to bend it back, depends if it's just a little tweek or a proper bend...
i did fairly well with mine by taking the disc off, putting it on a table top to suss out the wonky bit and applying gentle bending power via the medium of my hands. if you can get it flat on a tabletop then it'll be straight on the bike too.
Keep it foolish...