This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FS to HT to FS to....
Due to some MOT issues it seems my best option to get to work tomorrow is to ride...so I'm taking the hardtail I built for the mrs.
I took it for a quick blast round the toads earlier and I was bouncing up and down like a mentalist. It's clearly me correcting for the bob of the FS I guess.
Can anybody tell me how long this bouncing lark is going to last? I must have looked stupid.
Aside from that, I'm kind of looking forward to it.
Buy a road bike if riding on the road?

But seriously, I dont understand, why would you be bobbing? No decent FS bike bobs excessivley when sat down, yours wont, unless you pedal really badly and literally stamp on the pedals with a very narrow power spread in regards to the full rotation. Doesnt have a really low rear tyre does it or saddle at wrong height so your hips are rocking?
"Breezer" Wrote:Buy a road bike if riding on the road?

Alright! Who are you & what have you done with Breezer Undecided

The man's right Blackers - something amis there.  You shouldn't be bobbing on a HT Undecided
An FS shouldn't bob much & you do not bob on a FS, it might.

Check things previously suggested & that the saddle isn't too far fopward meaning you lift yourself slightly with each downstroke.
I found my HT horrendous when I first got it, was being bounced around like a bouncy thing on a bouncy castle. Turned out to be my rock hard saddle (So hard Ross Kemp wouldn't even sit on it) and my soft (softer than a andrex toilet tissue) bottom didn't get along. Changed the saddle, all much smoother. Problem solved. Perhaps try it with the saddle from your board man and see if that helps.
Please ensure you are wearing the correct amount of lycra whilst riding on tarmac :X
I've definately read about the bobbing somewhere. I'm not mad. I'M NOT MAAAAAD!
this is going to be a one time only thing. I just can't afford the road riding equipment....lycra...bald tyres....earphones...
"Blackers" Wrote:I've definately read about the bobbing somewhere. I'm not mad. I'M NOT MAAAAAD!
this is going to be a one time only thing. I just can't afford the road riding equipment....lycra...bald tyres....earphones...

Big Grin
You are either completly wrong or completly stupid, one of the two lol. When sat on the saddle on your boardman (to rule out urt bikes or whatever they are called!) the distance from saddle to bottom bracket remains the same the entire time regardless what the rear suspension is doing so there is no reason for your body to be bobbing  Undecided :Smile
"Breezer" Wrote:You are either completly wrong or completly stupid, one of the two lol. When sat on the saddle on your boardman (to rule out urt bikes or whatever they are called!) the distance from saddle to bottom bracket remains the same the entire time regardless what the rear suspension is doing so there is no reason for your body to be bobbing  Undecided :Smile

Yeah yeah. I will try to recall what I read. I think it only affects people who have a superior pedalling technique on a FS. I think the superior pedaller....in this case me....has trained himself to kind of flow in time with the slight bob of a FS bike being pedalled to in effect reduce said bobbing.
Consider yourself learned....i'm going to bed.  ??)
"Breezer" Wrote:You are either completly wrong or completly stupid

Or both   :o