This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fat fighters
Where do I start I have 4 st I want to shift currently 18st but happy to work hard at it how far should I ride? And how often?
As i said in the other thread, i rode 20 miles between 5 and 7 days a week and lost 4 stone in about a year. Started off just under 16st and got down to just under 12st. All that riding was combined with a healthy diet, i pretty much lived on salmon/chicken and potatoes/salad and lots of veg, pasta etc. You have to stick to it though, i am not riding enough lately and my diet has slipped so am struggling to loose the 1 1/2st i stupidly let pile back on over the last 2 years, mainly thanks to a 2 week holiday an Bali and Lombok and ski-ing in Canada in 09. I am very angry with myself >Sad There are plenty of other guys on here that have lost a lot of weight too so hopefully they will be along soon to impart their pearls of wisdome. There are also several other related threads on here that are worth a read. Have a look at the "Before and after" thread too, think its on page 2 or 3.
Dust! eat nothing but dust.

I started off at 22st (thats like nearly 3 alkali's - now that is a vivid thought!) and through nothing but riding and avoiding beige foods I managed to get down to 16st - bloated in the last 9 months to 17st and a little bit..... but as mr hugger pointed out see the before and after thread.
"jellylegs" Wrote:Dust! eat nothing but dust.

I started off at 22st (thats like nearly 3 alkali's - now that is a vivid thought!) and through nothing but riding and avoiding beige foods I managed to get down to 16st - bloated in the last 9 months to 17st and a little bit..... but as mr hugger pointed out see the before and after thread.

nice one!
It's pretty simple really, burn more calories than you eat and stay away from fatty and high sugar foods. I started losing weight by using an exercise bike every day for an hour, but as you may be able to imagine it was pretty boring!

I bought a new bike and started riding to work, it takes me half an hour each way for a distance of 6.5 miles. Much more fun, saves me money, helped with my tan and was more time effective than the exercise bike.

I weigh myself every week and keep a record as I find it gives me something to work to, I also kept a chart of how often I ride - it makes it easy to see when you're slipping in the motivation department!

I lost 2 stone in 4 months  Smile
Enjoy your riding and the pounds will fall away.
Treehugger (Andy) is right, the secret is regular riding, I begain riding regularly about 3-4 years ago and quickly lost a stone, but currently can only get out once or twice a week and that is not enough unless you are dieting as well. WARNING cycling makes you hungry, so its easy to burn 800calories in a ride, then go home starving and put 1000 back on again! :Smile
"Abzz" Wrote:Treehugger (Andy) is right, the secret is regular riding, I begain riding regularly about 3-4 years ago and quickly lost a stone, but currently can only get out once or twice a week and that is not enough unless you are dieting as well. WARNING cycling makes you hungry, so its easy to burn 800calories in a ride, then go home starving and put 1000 back on again! :Smile

I overcome the post ride nosh up by eating regularly whilst riding. All I ate when I got home yesterday was a bowl of cocopops...though I ate a cake in the van on the way home. The secret is to never let yourself get to the point were you are famished.