This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seized Hub
I have a pair of XT/719 wheels that have shamefully sat in the loft for the last year or so doing nothing.  I've just dug them out to fir them on my Scandal howver the rear hub has seized.  

The hubs are XT 756, what can I do to sort this?

Cheers Smile
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Either full strip down which might be too much hassle,or try dousing in wd40 overnight.it only takes one sticking pawl to seize the hub, could be some dirt plus grease combo playing havoc. Wd40 might just do the trick to help loosen things up in there.or some degreaser, but you'll need to regrease after.depends how lazy you're feeling. Ideally strip.
Keep it foolish...
I was gonna go for the strip down approach and see how things look from there approach.  I reckon it will appreciate it after a year in the loft.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Need to regularly keep cones adjusted right either else will wear early
Maybe I've missed something, but has the rear hub seized or has the freehub seized?

The WD40 advice may help with the freehub, but if it's the hub itself then strip & rebuild is the only answer.
Any other option will shred the cups & you then have as fooled wheel Sad

TBH you should strip & rebuild either way, but the freehub will last a while after the WD40 trick the cup & cones will not.