This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Energy Gels?
ok so as my dad is a roadie we tend to have boxes upon boxes of lucazade energy gels, he reckons they are great but ive heard that they only help if taken before you start to feel knackered

just wondering what peoples views on them are?, obviously they are alot easier to carry around the cereal bars, so a possible replacement?
No they should not replace food, they are more of a supplement to increase energy levels so you can ride longer. I use them on very long rides, for instance when we did the SDW we went through nearly 15 each. And your right, they are of more benefit when taken once or twice an hour, once your knackered and your legs are burning they won't do much as by this point your muscle fibers are already damaged, and energy gels don't help repair muscle fibers, that's what recovery drinks are for.
"Treehugger" Wrote:No they should not replace food, they are more of a supplement to increase energy levels so you can ride longer. I use them on very long rides, for instance when we did the SDW we went through nearly 15 each. And your right, they are of more benefit when taken once or twice an hour, once your knackered and your legs are burning they won't do much as by this point your muscle fibers are already damaged, and energy gels don't help repair muscle fibers, that's what recovery drinks are for.

ok cheers for clearing things up there andy, looks like ill have to invest in a lifetime supply of cereal bars and recovery drinks  Big Grin
Agree with Andy.  They're good for longer rides but i usually just go with an energy drink and food source.  As with all sports nutrition the key is little and often - not waiting until you feel hungry or low on energy as by then its too late
Energy gels are like adding fuel to a fire - if the fire goes out then no matter how much you add its too late.  One of the important things about gels is the carbs  - in good solid exercise youll need about a gram of carbs per kg body weight per hour - so if yout 70kg, aim for about 70g of carbs an hour through gel's drinks etc, dont go more than about 10% under or over - under then your not feeding the fire enough & youll feel it, over & you'll risk stomach upset (maybe - depends on the person).

Thing is add up all your sources - drinks have carbs & a typical gel will have about 40 - 50g carbs, it'll tell you on the side.

Also good to carb load a little before an event - i normally take a gel 15 - 20 mins before i start then aim for the gram per kg as above.

Its no miracle cure though, still get knackered after a while  Smile
"dgw15" Wrote:Energy gels are like adding fuel to a fire - if the fire goes out then no matter how much you add its too late.  One of the important things about gels is the carbs  - in good solid exercise youll need about a gram of carbs per kg body weight per hour - so if yout 70kg, aim for about 70g of carbs an hour through gel's drinks etc, dont go more than about 10% under or over - under then your not feeding the fire enough & youll feel it, over & you'll risk stomach upset (maybe - depends on the person).

Thing is add up all your sources - drinks have carbs & a typical gel will have about 40 - 50g carbs, it'll tell you on the side.

Also good to carb load a little before an event - i normally take a gel 15 - 20 mins before i start then aim for the gram per kg as above.

Its no miracle cure though, still get knackered after a while  Smile

can you recomend any dgw15 ? tried lucozade ones at the last fowlmead and felt like jumping off and throwing up  :X i usually dont have the problems with sports drinks maybe im just not used to it ?
Hi Steve - Ive tried a bunch but mostly use SIS ones now, they are well known & can be bought at most fitness shops etc (even seen them in tescos)  the gels hold about 55g carbs each & I also use the energy drinks also PSP22  - they (depending on the concentration) can have about 50g carbs per litre (thats how i mix it anyway)  

I wouldn't say the gels are all that tastey if you know what i mean & for me that also goes for the drinks - way to sweet, if I try it when not doing exercise its horrible - but in the thick of it its completely different, it feels like just what my bodys after.

Important thing also to remember with any drink (and gel) its only good if its quickly absorbed - to do that the drink/gel must be isotonic, so osmosis causes it to be absorbed quickly - a lot of glucose drinks etc are not at the isotonic level (or below) & therefore sit in the stomach for ages - that + exercise causes  :X so dont go with some of the on off the supermarket shelf stuff that says energy drink etc, go for the good stuff, you'll feel the difference.
"dgw15" Wrote:Hi Steve - Ive tried a bunch but mostly use SIS ones now, they are well known & can be bought at most fitness shops etc (even seen them in tescos)  the gels hold about 55g carbs each & I also use the energy drinks also PSP22  - they (depending on the concentration) can have about 50g carbs per litre (thats how i mix it anyway)  

I wouldn't say the gels are all that tastey if you know what i mean & for me that also goes for the drinks - way to sweet, if I try it when not doing exercise its horrible - but in the thick of it its completely different, it feels like just what my bodys after.

Important thing also to remember with any drink (and gel) its only good if its quickly absorbed - to do that the drink/gel must be isotonic, so osmosis causes it to be absorbed quickly - a lot of glucose drinks etc are not at the isotonic level (or below) & therefore sit in the stomach for ages - that + exercise causes  :X so dont go with some of the on off the supermarket shelf stuff that says energy drink etc, go for the good stuff, you'll feel the difference.

ive already found the drink for me ... techno fuel FTW Big Grin, tried some of the zipvit stuff whilst out on a 30 mile road ride and had the same affect on me at the side of the road feeling like crap ! will try the SIS stuff though i did find the powder drinks you could get in asda good hopefully it wont have the same effect, just out of intrest noticed you are from ashford ... any local stores sell the sis stuff ?
+1 for dgw's comment above, i've used them once on the L2B as a mate had a couple left over from his marathon just prior to the event, they are really sweet and are best washed down with a swig of water after as they left my mouth dryer then Ghandi's flipflop

resimresim

doesn't Ghandi look like Alf Garnett? Ironic really...
Keep it foolish...
Alex kindly gave me a high5 summer friuts gel on my last lap (go on disqualify me!) I could safely say I think it had no effect, but the mental feeling of a "boost" did help a little. Was like licking a jamjar though it was so sweet.

I'm going to use one on the next sizzler race on 30mins, to perhaps prolong fatigue a bit.

As mentioned above, perhaps my gel usage was too late in the day(?)