This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
29rs
So been out working in Atlanta last week, had sat free so went to local bike shop.  It was rammed with all sorts but they had a good selection of 29rs, I had a chat with the staff and said I'd read they were best for people 5'8" and above, ie the taller the better.

They said that's a myth and put me on a Garry fisher 15.5" frame superfly.  Had a good ride round, felt great, if anything a little cramped but it did have a short stem.

This one was pretty low spec so heavy but I could see/feel the potential.  Excellent friendly service even though they knew I wasn't there to buy.  

Felt like it may be tricky on hard techy terrain, ie with drops, jumps etc but I've seen others riding them in races cope fine so probably just a case of getting use to it.

Quite impressed though.
Thought they only came in adult sizes...  ??)
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Could you see over the front wheel?  Wink

Only joking of course. I saw a lot of people well under 6ft on 29ers at SITS so its clearly a myth that they only suit shorter people.
Cheeky gits, though I suspect it was a 16" wheel as had stabilisers and pictures of buzz lightyear on the frame.
Ian has one ordered I believe.

My next bike will be a 29er too. From what little time I have spent on a 29er they feel intriguingly different.
Outsell 26er HT's in the US. Had a good chat in local bike shop about them, they have demo ones at Friston. Might work for a general xc bike, perhaps not up to dh trashing. Im waiting on someone I know to get one so I can try them.

My main issue though is that I make myself sick sometimes with stress trying to decide what bike(s) to buy next so if I add 29ers to the list I might actually kill myself

Emily Batty rides a 29er and shes about 3 foot although does have an inveted stem. World XC champ who also won the world cup rides a "probably heaviest bike in the field" 21.6lb 29FS and does ok but thats racing and not about fun. I think as they bottom brackets are further below the wheel axle in comparison to a 26er plus you can make them light enough, I cant really see them being much if any worse

I owned a 24" HT and it was so much bumpier off road compard to a 26" so no doubt going to a 29" is a similar improvement
I have indeed ordered one, meant to be coming mid october. as always anyone is welcome to a ride.

for those who think 29ers are xc only look at this......
"ianpinder" Wrote:I have indeed ordered one, meant to be coming mid october. as always anyone is welcome to a ride.

for those who think 29ers are xc only look at this......

Haha the wheels make the Dorado's look tiny. I like it though, I'm surprised there aren't any 29'er DH bikes yet.
"Blackers" Wrote:My next bike will be a 29er too.

told ya!
Andy. there is someone making 29er downhill bikes. can't remember who. some American small outfit.
I will report back on my first impressions after I ride Sunday.
"Blackers" Wrote:told ya!
Andy. there is someone making 29er downhill bikes. can't remember who. some American small outfit.
I will report back on my first impressions after I ride Sunday.

You not riding tonight now then?