This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem Setting Up SLX Front Mech
I am trying to set up a Shimano M661 SLX front mech with a Sram X7 shifter.

When I shift up from the granny the mech goes all the way up to the big ring, missing the middle ring. Clearly the shifter is pulling too much cable.

The mech looks like this...

resim

My cable comes down to the mech so goes straight to the bolt. The cable guiding gubbings which you can see peeping up behind the clamp is for cables that come up from below the BB so not relevant.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
None at all as all front shifters/mechs have the same cable pull

Adjust the end stops correctly by manually moving the mech with your hand then bolt the cable in with a tiny bit of slack when its in the granny ring position (make sure shifter clicked down to granny first)
Cable pulled too tight. Give it some slack, adjust the low limit screw so it doesnt fall off the granny ring & that should cure your problem... The use of SRAM & Shimano together on the front is all irrelevant. As long as you can get both your top & granny rings it should be just a matter of adjustment..
Cheers guys. All sorted. Building a bike from a seated position on a sofa isnt something I would recommend!  :B
I recommend not running a front mech. Saves you a lot of hassle ;-)
[quote="]I recommend not running a front mech. Saves you a lot of hassle ;-)[/quote"]

really? you looked really hassled on the climbs at Surrey the other day!  Wink