This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airplane vs Conveyor Belt Theory
Ask a booth babe
[youtube]kuQBxdBW__g[/youtube]
hahahaha. I still would though ;-)
The blonde at end OMG how thick can you get.....
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:The blonde at end OMG how thick can you get.....
"It depends on what airline you choose, Virgin could like totally take off" Big Grin Big Grin

Absolute genius, love it.
I totally agree with the pilot blokes though, wheels are irrelevant to that situation, the plane will move forwards regardless.
However, I think the tyres might blow out, cos think they'd be travelling twice the air speed of the plane!
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:"It depends on what airline you choose, Virgin could like totally take off" Big Grin Big Grin

Absolute genius, love it.
I totally agree with the pilot blokes though, wheels are irrelevant to that situation, the plane will move forwards regardless.
However, I think the tyres might blow out, cos think they'd be travelling twice the air speed of the plane!

That's what I thought, but...

If the conveyor belt exactly matches the speed of the wheels, so that the wheels could never move forwards, relative to everything around them then, theoretically, the plane would never generate any lift as if the wheels can't move forward, then neither can the wings.

Now my head hurts...
But the wheels have no effect on the forward motion of the plane, apart from giving it something to rest on!

The engines thrust against the air pushing the aircraft forwards, it's not like a car/bike where forward motion is created by forced movement of the wheels against a surface.
That's how I see it any way Smile
This was recreated on Mythbusters a while back.  IIRC, they had a loooong piece of cloth dragging behind a pick-up with a light airplane (US spelling Tongue) taking off the other direction and it took off without any problems.
I'll see if I can find a Youtube of it later...
are you seriously debating this?
just found it

[youtube]YORCk1BN7QY[/youtube]
"Blackers" Wrote:are you seriously debating this?

Im planning on watching the video tonight and debating it