This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike Maintenance Manual
Anyone got any advice on what one to get... Park, Haynes etc .........    I want to do my own maintenance and fettling without having the usual 'bits' left over at the end  ;D
You can probably find all you need on Parks website as they have tons of indepth guides for free

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
Yeah, thanks for that, I have been on there before for some info, I just though by the time you've printed off all the guides, you may as well have a manual, and I like books/manuals  Smile   I guess the plus side of the guides is you keep the book nice and clean, did I mention I like books  ;D
Print them out at work where its free paper then demand the secratary or someone similar binds them for you. I got ours to laminate a load of trail map guides before I did a 2 week mtb road trip last year  Big Grin
"Breezer" Wrote:Print them out at work where its free paper then demand the secratary or someone similar binds them for you. I got ours to laminate a load of trail map guides before I did a 2 week mtb road trip last year  Big Grin

Well, I'm self employed so all costs are down to me, but I do have plenty of paper and a laminator and a binder, so good call, and I get the VAT back and it's tax deductible  ;D  also works for tool purchases and Muc Off etc ..........
Try zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance.
I have the Zinn book, and it's good for things like setting up dÃÂrailleurs, installing cranks, and bleeding brakes.  It doesn't have any useful information about suspension maintainance or servicing, at least in the edition I have.  I think the newest edition came out in 2010, so might be better.

I think watching Park Tool or other videos online are better though.  There's a big difference between looking at a few diagrams and some text, and watching someone actually perform the task.
I like books ( might have said ) so may get a couple and yes you're right the online videos are excellent and often make more sense, although there are some cack handed knobs on You Tube  Big Grin
[quote="]Try zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance. [/quote"]

Another +1 for this, it's an entertaining read too (for a manual) as well as being very useful. Anything not covered in that you can pick up from Park tools or Youtube
"Murv" Wrote:Another +1 for this, it's an entertaining read too (for a manual) as well as being very useful. Anything not covered in that you can pick up from Park tools or Youtube

Looks like 2 books then  Smile   + laminating / binding downloads.