This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enduro as a XC bike?
OK, so I have a Trek 6700 hardtail for local riding, and an 05 Specialized Enduro S-woks for the rockier stuff in Wales.
The Endro was built from a frame, to a very tight budget so it weighs a ton and is no fun riding it locally. Thing is, when I do get it to Wales, I spend ages trying to get used to a different bike...

The hardtail is OK, but I've never really bonded that much with it, it's light and fast (or would be with more suitable tyres) but isn't much fun to ride.

Anyway, I've been half wondering whether I should get rid of the Trek and build the Enduro up with a lightweight 130mm fork and decent wheelset. That way, it should be OK for local riding, and also more than capable of taking anything rockier on further afield. I'm a crap rider, so will never be a downhill God or into large jumps/drops so don't need a "big" bike.

Or, should I just wait until finances are better next Year and buy something new...

Any thoughts?
If you can get some lighter bits without spending a fortune then do it. The 05 frame isn't that heavy so as you say, lighter forks and wheels/tyres will make a massive difference. Remember Tinc ran an 05 Enduro for years and was bloody fast on it too.
Mr Hugger's memory is quite accurate. I ran a stock 05 enduro for almost entirely XC duties for 5 years.
Mine was around 35lbs iirc - not light, but not really heavy.
It served me very well & was very capable everywhere I took it including several enduro races including 12 & 24hr events.

How heavy is yours?
I ask as a bit of suspension fettling made mine as good as it was. Before I fiddled it was OK.
Afterward it was much better, but no lighter.

Thanks for the "fast" comment Andy, bit concerned by the "was" though Big Grin
Thanks guys, appreciated, good news too  ;D

The frame itself is extremely light, and I've not long had the shock rebuilt and PUSH'd so I was hoping it would be usable.
It won't be for a little while, funds are very tight at the moment but it's what I'll aim for then.

Thanks again,

Chris
You'll be fine with the Enduro, although it is worth remembering that both Mr Hugger & I are Spesh whores ;D
I currently have a Stumpy for XC/AM duty 8)
"Tinc" Wrote:Mr Hugger's memory is quite accurate. I ran a stock 05 enduro for almost entirely XC duties for 5 years.
Mine was around 35lbs iirc - not light, but not really heavy.
It served me very well & was very capable everywhere I took it including several enduro races including 12 & 24hr events.

How heavy is yours?
I ask as a bit of suspension fettling made mine as good as it was. Before I fiddled it was OK.
Afterward it was much better, but no lighter.

Thanks for the "fast" comment Andy, bit concerned by the "was" though Big Grin

Lol, don't worry mate I still think your fast Wink
"Treehugger" Wrote:Lol, don't worry mate I still think your fast Wink

Phew!
Now my ego is suitably massaged I can sleep properly to recover from woefully slow laptimes at D2D Wink
35lbs "not really heavy" ???????????????? I couldnt even lift that!
As above really, the 2005 Enduro was a great bike,

Matt at work has he's set up for dh more than xc and it weighs in at 35lb, thats with 160mm vengence forks and dhx air rear shock,

Russ has a 2007 sx trail which is very similar, russ has it set up with steep head angle plate in it also running 160mm forks,

Russ also has a S-works 2004 enduro set up at 130mm and that weighs 30lb,

With the right choice components it can be a light weight do it all bike,
Yeah, I have to add that when I put downhill tyres on my Enduro the weight goes up to 36lbs from 32lbs and it becomes a right b1tch to pedal about. Even at 32lbs, riding a track like Bedgebury where there is a lot of stop and go, after a single lap I'm shattered.