This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fort William World Cup Trip, 9th - 12th June 2012
Me and Ash Moore are planning to go to the Fort William World Cup next June, the plan is to fly up there, accomodation cheap and stay a few days, watch the race and have a day on the DH track by hiring bikes etc. It looks like the race is the 9th - 10th June but the sites are confusing, anyone know if these are the correct dates ?, ive also seen 4th - 5th mentioned.

Flights look like £100 each to inverness, car hire works out about £40 each depending on how many people go and what size vehicle. Plus accomodation and entry etc.

Anyone interested in joining us. We will be booking this up in the next month or so, only post if you are genuinely interested so i dont waste time looking for accomodation for more than two people etc.
Managed to confirm the dates on the net, its the 9th and 10th June. So fly up early on the 9th, watch practice, watch race on 10th, ride 11th, come home on the 12th. 3 nights accomodation.
just a suggestion on flights, try the website 'skyscanner' I used to fly to Glasgow all the time and often spent about £50 return from Gatwick. Usually easyjet and travelling either super early or dead late. If you book flights with about a month in advance you'll save loads over a few days in advance. BA give you wine too, and if you smile sweetly at the girl you might even get two bottles, which is fun on a 50 minute flight.
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:just a suggestion on flights, try the website 'skyscanner' I used to fly to Glasgow all the time and often spent about £50 return from Gatwick. Usually easyjet and travelling either super early or dead late. If you book flights with about a month in advance you'll save loads over a few days in advance. BA give you wine too, and if you smile sweetly at the girl you might even get two bottles, which is fun on a 50 minute flight.

Thanks Mike will take a look
sky scanner is a good site but its just a search engine so cut a few seconds of your search and go straight to easyjet.

the bloke who runs skyscanner it is a knoob too.
Is be interested in coming Simon , but would need to check if I can get the days off.
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:Is be interested in coming Simon , but would need to check if I can get the days off.

Be good if you can mate, let me know
stayed at Glen Nevis cottages - old but functional when 2007 world cup on

- booked for whole week but had a holiday mix up so I don't think they do short stays, anyways they do have a campsite there

would like to come but provisonally doing an event on Sunday 10th of June at moment.

carparks close to FW DH (3/4 mile walk) fill up really early each day, if they are full there is a park and ride etc There is a cycle path from town but quite a long way to walk etc. [edit park and ride very slow after 4X finishes]

if stay somewhere make sure its walking distance of town for evenings out there, there was good pub near where we were near Achintee House (across river from Glen Nevis) but need to book for meals as popular

Laggan worth a visit if up that way
if you camp be wary of midges, they are not like anything we have down here, tiny little flying teeth, not mozzies but smaller. A heady combination of DEET and Marlboro are supposed to keep them off. Also 'skin so soft' from Avon apparently. Rou got eaten alive last year.
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:if you camp be wary of midges, they are not like anything we have down here, tiny little flying teeth, not mozzies but smaller. A heady combination of DEET and Marlboro are supposed to keep them off. Also 'skin so soft' from Avon apparently. Rou got eaten alive last year.

Don't talk about midgies, I've only just stopped having nightmares about Keilder and the agony for a week and a half after!