This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heart Rate
Firstly, these Roadie boards are a little quiet lately, so thought i would warm em up!  Wink

I have always assumed (although i realised it wasn't very accurate) that my max heart rate would be around 180bmp, due to my age being nearly 40 and 220-40 (age) = 180bmp.

However, i wanted to ride the other day and didn't have long, so thought i would hit some hills in the short time i had to ride.

I rode 4 x steepish hills around to where i live, these being Birling Hill, Vigo Hill, Lockyers Hill (25%), and Exedown Road.

1. My max heart rate according to my Garmin was 193 - is this bad?
2. Should i use 193 as my max heart rate to work out my training zones instead of 180?
3. How can i get the Garmin Connect Website to display the hills in Gradient? I know Lockyers Hill is 25% as there is a big sign at the bottom of it and i noticed on the Garmin that it said 24% on one of the points, however the other hills i didn't look at the Garmin whilst climbing - weird that the Garmin records the gradient % on the unit whilst riding but doesn't display it on the website chart??

Here is the ride:- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connect.garmin.com/activity/121631789">http://connect.garmin.com/activity/121631789</a><!-- m -->

Would really like to find out how i can get Garmin Connect to show % on the website, as you don't always have time or think/remember to look at the Garmin whilst riding whilst your lungs are about to burst!! Smile
Definately Veet. Cheap disposable razors are a false economy.
180 is only a rough guide and you're fitter than average so you can go higher

so 190 or 195 a better max

use tracklogs to track routes which gives average climb %s and length of climb etc
&quot;Blackers&quot; Wrote:Definately Veet. Cheap disposable razors are a false economy.

Big Grin
&quot;mudhound&quot; Wrote:180 is only a rough guide and you're fitter than average so you can go higher

so 190 or 195 a better max

use tracklogs to track routes which gives average climb %s and length of climb etc

Cheers mudhound I shall check tracklogs out later when I get home sounds like hat what I'm looking for. Smile
Nah, max hr is not a guide of fitness.  But being above 180 is ok, everyone is different.  A guide to fitness is how quick u recover and also how close to your max your effort threshold is.

Whole different subject, google functional threshold.
Just found the interesting thread <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://archive.roadbikereview.com/04/0EF1C6D1.php">http://archive.roadbikereview.com/04/0EF1C6D1.php</a><!-- m -->
You are nearly 40  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
&quot;redwinnie&quot; Wrote:You are nearly 40  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Redwinnie, how u doing mate, long time no speak yeah, biologically 40 mate but mentally still 18!!!

Honestly, if I still act and feel like I do now when I'm 50 then ill know for sure ice got problems!!!
&quot;dgw15&quot; Wrote:Nah, max hr is not a guide of fitness.  But being above 180 is ok, everyone is different.  A guide to fitness is how quick u recover and also how close to your max your effort threshold is.

Whole different subject, google functional threshold.

I hope being above 180 is OK I regularly hit 190, my most ever recorded was trying to keep up with Russ around Surrey I hit 207 and I'm over 40 as well :o :o