This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike cleaning
Just changed the stem of my Whyte and found that there was a fair amount of mud in the steerer tube! I'm guessing this is due to the fact that I usually wash my bike upside down and a fair bit of crap has made its was to the top of the tube under the cap.

So basically, am I doing it wrong? Is cleaning the bike upside down a no-no? Or is this an area I should just keep an eye on and clean regularly? Are there any other areas on a modern bike I should be disassembling and keeping clean?

Flame suit on, I know this is pretty basic stuff  :B
Not really but bike cleaning is much easier with a workstand. It puts the bike at a good height to get stuck into the drivetrain. And of course it is then up the right way.

Which reminds me that I need to buy a workstand for the new bike....
If you can avoid upside down then you'll save putting dirt and crap into the shifters, there's no right or wrong way other than no jet hose. Soapy water and a sponge, some harsh cassette brushes, then dribble hose the bike down and then cloth dry and buff with a good dealer for long lasting paint.  Last part is for ocd sufferers like me lol
Mud does get up there, as theres no doubt a hole at the bottom of the steer at the forks - but cleaning upside down will compound this problem if water gets in a it runs down (up)

Clean upright if possible, but being a mountain bike everything hets dirty, if time allows, strip whatever you can to clean it.

Fenwicks Concentrate + Muc Off Brush Set is a winning combination.
I'd think upside down is a bad idea, older frames have drain holes....