This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope equivalents
Due to ongoing issues with a set of Magura Louise brakes, I am looking at getting a set of Hopes.

So which hopes are on a par with Magura Louise?  I was thinking of Tech X2 to replace.

Many thanks!
"Holmes81" Wrote:Due to ongoing issues with a set of Magura Louise brakes, I am looking at getting a set of Hopes.

So which hopes are on a par with Magura Louise?  I was thinking of Tech X2 to replace.

Many thanks!

I'd go with XTR trail brakes given the option. A lot of people don't like Hope brakes. Not very powerful.
This always gets people going....
Elixirs here. same pads for 2 years. never had to bleed them. always work. can be had cheaply online.
Shimano SLX and XT get great reviews and are I believe much easier to bleed.
No doubt on Thursday I will blow through my pads and need to bleed my brakes
Big Grin
Hmmmm surprised about the power of hopes.

Might go for Shimano XT, as they are on merlin for a reasonable price.
check some of the German and French online stores. they are often a lot cheaper. Buzz knows a couple I think....
I have XT's on the Stumpy and they are awesome, more powerful than the Elixir's on the Scalp.
Elixir's cr are the ones for me easy to bleed  more than powerfull enough and you can get all the spares for them. Had shimano xt that worked great but are harder to bleed and never worked as well after, also spares are non existent if your seals go on calipers you have to buy the whole caliper. Avids win for me hands down. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Brakes/Disc+Brakes/Sram++Avid+Disc+Brakes/Avid+Elixir+CR+Disc+Brake+Set+-+Front++Rear_1852.htm">http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... r_1852.htm</a><!-- m -->
Yeah Matt's right, Shimano don't do any spares at all. I haven't had any problems yet with my Elixir CR's apart from them fading on long DH's in the Alps, but for UK riding they are spot on.
&quot;Treehugger&quot; Wrote:Yeah Matt's right, Shimano don't do any spares at all. I haven't had any problems yet with my Elixir CR's apart from them fading on long DH's in the Alps, but for UK riding they are spot on.

was just the spare seals i had problems with first set that went i got the caliper replaced under Warranty but when they went again had to buy whole new calliper as nowhere on the internet or bike shops could get them. Thought this weird as shimano is normally really good for small spares Undecided  
I was quoted over 2 months for a spoke for my xt778 wheel on my Zesty........