This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In need of new brakes
Ok i think my Hayes Nines have seen better days, the rear brake is fine but the front brake is not happy at all. Its lever has been getting closer and closer to the handle bar and this doesnt change even when putting new pads in. Ive bled them in the past and had to unseize 2 sticky pistons before. Ive just spent an hour bleeding the front making sure i get it perfect and its still pulling in far to far. So i checked the pistons and sure enough they are both sticking loads, one more than the other. A rebuild kit for the pistons is £20 and £10 for the master cyclinder, but can i be bothered? there a year and half old now and ive had lots of problems with them.

So should i just buy the rebuild kit or buy some new ones

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produc...goryId=130
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produc...goryId=115

Does anyone know if i can use hayes discs on shimano calipers? id rather not have to buy a shimano 8 inch rotor and just use my hayes rotors 8 inch and 6 inch rotors

Thanks
Yep pretty sure they are the same size. Think it is just Avid and a few others that use 185mm discs. Are you thinking of getting some XT'S? I'v had a go on Mark's bike several times and i was well impressed with his. I did an endo while sitting on the saddle and barely touching the lever, i think they might even be better than Avid's!
Get the SLX ones as there are a complete package rotors included so cannot go wrong.  Smile
Yeah but if i buy the slx they only come with 6 inch rotors, i want an 8 on the front
Choice of rotors if you go to CRC and buy front and rear seperately although not all adapters in stock, similar price
I ordered the slx on wednesday for £150. i look on merlin today and they are £170.

Also i bought my slx cranks for £80 a while back, on crc they are now £99

Price increases!
I don't need one but I was looking at rear mechs recently and im sure the XT ones have crept up on CRC as well and are now almost X.9 price when before they were a fair bit cheaper and other disc brakes are as well ie the new Hopes are £30 more than the older ones with only a bite point adjuster to show for it
"Buzz" Wrote:I ordered the slx on wednesday for £150. i look on merlin today and they are £170.

Also i bought my slx cranks for £80 a while back, on crc they are now £99

Price increases!
Have you seen the price of Rock Shox forks lately :o I got my Pikes brand new for £289 and now they are £440! Anyone know why the'v gone up so much? I was going to get some Lyrics later in the year for the Enduro so i can build the Inbred up again, but it looks like i'll be going second hand again now if i do >Sad
"Treehugger" Wrote:Have you seen the price of Rock Shox forks lately :o I got my Pikes brand new for £289 and now they are £440! Anyone know why the'v gone up so much? I was going to get some Lyrics later in the year for the Enduro so i can build the Inbred up again, but it looks like i'll be going second hand again now if i do >Sad

i noticed that to  >Sad rip off merchants, is this current economical climate you would of thought prices to go down not up ! encouraging us the customer to buy obviously thats not the case Undecided

im sure thye will say that this years forks have got a slightly different paint used thus protecting them from scratches or something stupid like that, either way it will be a load of scrote  Big Grin