This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amature auto-electricians
Any one here had any experience at fitting/removing car alarms/immobilisers?

My current Thatcham approved Cobra system keeps failing (currently stuck at home as it refuses to switch the immobiliser off). The alarm also keeps flattening the battery because it's wired up badly (think its piggy backed off the cigarette lighter).

I have a Toad C2 alarm which I plan on replacing it with, how hard a job is it? Mechanical stuff I can do but electrics are not my strong point. Current one has 2 immobilisers -ignition and fuel pump, hard to remove?

If anyone perhaps wants to fit it for me I'd be most appreciative and be able to reward with beer and pizza.  Just can't afford to pay for an auto electrician at the moment.
"General Sparks" Wrote:Any one here had any experience at fitting/removing car alarms/immobilisers?

My current Thatcham approved Cobra system keeps failing (currently stuck at home as it refuses to switch the immobiliser off). The alarm also keeps flattening the battery because it's wired up badly (think its piggy backed off the cigarette lighter).

I have a Toad C2 alarm which I plan on replacing it with, how hard a job is it? Mechanical stuff I can do but electrics are not my strong point. Current one has 2 immobilisers -ignition and fuel pump, hard to remove?

If anyone perhaps wants to fit it for me I'd be most appreciative and be able to reward with beer and pizza.  Just can't afford to pay for an auto electrician at the moment.

Network rail for you then for the next few months ;-)
Lol. If I can't afford an auto electrician I sure as hell can't afford the train, why'd you think I ride to work.

Will have a ganders on the Internet then set about it with the wire cutters and a great big hammer, and if that fails I'll go to B&Q and buy an even bigger hammer.  :B
[quote author=]

Network rail for you then for the next few months ;-)[/quote]

+1 I'm afraid. Definitely not something for the amateur!
"General Sparks" Wrote:Lol. If I can't afford an auto electrician I sure as hell can't afford the train, why'd you think I ride to work.

Will have a ganders on the Internet then set about it with the wire cutters and a great big hammer, and if that fails I'll go to B&Q and buy an even bigger hammer.  :B

Lol
Try to find some wiring diagrams for both the alarm units before you start.
With a monika like "General Sparks" you shouldn't have trouble!

Seriously it's not a tricky job, but you do have to pay attention.
Get yourself a Haynes manual, that will allow you to find all the curcuits you need under the dash.
The big issue with security devices is they usually have all the cables the same colour, so some tea leaf can't just snip the red wire to the black box.

If you have a new unit then the wires are probably identified with numbers that you remove once it's in & works.
The other issue is that to allow the device to break the circuits it has inserted into the circuit.
You have to cut the circuit & it's then best to solder the thing in - better connection - assuming you can solder OK.  Do not consider using chocolate blocks or scotch locks as it either won't work or it'll be easy to bypass.
Cheers tinc, I was just gonna wade in with the scotch locks but the circuit breaking makes perfect sense. Ive found a mate willing to take the task on for me who's fitted a few so I'm gonna buck all responsibility on this one, I'll just watch and make tea  :B
"General Sparks" Wrote:Cheers tinc, I was just gonna wade in with the scotch locks but the circuit breaking makes perfect sense. Ive found a mate willing to take the task on for me who's fitted a few so I'm gonna buck all responsibility on this one, I'll just watch and make tea  :B

Result!