This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riding in snow
Anyone here done it? I'm thinking it's probably going to snow again this year and I see no reason why the MTB won't be any worse than the car this year.

So for a road commute is there anything I should be aware of? Is it stupidly hard work riding in snow? I realise ice could be a problem, are spiked tyres really required? They aren't cheap!
"Neil" Wrote:Anyone here done it? I'm thinking it's probably going to snow again this year and I see no reason why the MTB won't be any worse than the car this year.

So for a road commute is there anything I should be aware of? Is it stupidly hard work riding in snow? I realise ice could be a problem, are spiked tyres really required? They aren't cheap!

Are we talking entirely on road? If so they will mostely be clear anyway unless it is snowing heavily as they wont make the mistake of running out of grit again after the backlash they got before. Deep snow can be hard work, especially if you get stuck in a rut.
Yes, all on road - but I use back roads to get in, I doubt very much they'll get any grit. I'm thinking they'll be covered in about 6 inches of snow (depending on how it goes this year), am I asking too much of normal MTB tyres?
"Neil" Wrote:Yes, all on road - but I use back roads to get in, I doubt very much they'll get any grit. I'm thinking they'll be covered in about 6 inches of snow (depending on how it goes this year), am I asking too much of normal MTB tyres?

No not at all, I quite enjoy riding in the snow, just stay off the front brake and be ready to get a foot out when you lose the back end.
You will find that on main roads it is much easier to ride in the tracks of cars - although very wet, no different to riding in the wet, even if its slush.
Back roads depend I find. Sometimes you can ride the car tracks, but these can be sometimes be icy where the snow has compacted but not melted, in which case, ride the middle, its harder work through the thicker snow but safer.

I would only really go for studded/spiked tyres if you are doing footpaths/cyclepaths that arent on the road, as they get trodden down and really do get icy!
As Mr Hugger says riding in snow is really satisfying & excellent fun ;D
Treat it like mud. High cadence, carry speed, momentum is your friend.
When you find the ice it's a lottery, but in essence you'll fall off no matter how much you spend on tyres.
I use mud tyres pumped up hard for new soft snow & at lower pressure for when it compacts.

Don't expect to travel fast. You can, but if you put yourself under the pressure of a deadline it'll go wrong Sad
Do expect to fall off. You need to stay really relaxed & try to let the bike move as it wants to without too much correction.
It takes a couple of rides to find the style that works, but you love it when you do.

In the last really heavy snow I cycled from Lordswood to Strood to meet Mrs Tinc walking home.
I rode in & out of all the stranded cars singing "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas", I wasn't popular, but I enjoyed myself no end ;D
"Tinc" Wrote:As Mr Hugger says riding in snow is really satisfying & excellent fun ;D
Treat it like mud. High cadence, carry speed, momentum is your friend.
When you find the ice it's a lottery, but in essence you'll fall off no matter how much you spend on tyres.
I use mud tyres pumped up hard for new soft snow & at lower pressure for when it compacts.

Don't expect to travel fast. You can, but if you put yourself under the pressure of a deadline it'll go wrong Sad
Do expect to fall off. You need to stay really relaxed & try to let the bike move as it wants to without too much correction.
It takes a couple of rides to find the style that works, but you love it when you do.

In the last really heavy snow I cycled from Lordswood to Strood to meet Mrs Tinc walking home.
I rode in & out of all the stranded cars singing "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas", I wasn't popular, but I enjoyed myself no end ;D
Big Grin
Reminded me of a night ride in the snow/ice with Lagging & MBNut.
We hit ice on Bell Lane on the way home.
There was a completely synchronised 3 way rotation to the floor.
It was so good we all laid there a laughed Big Grin
"Tinc" Wrote:Reminded me of a night ride in the snow/ice with Lagging & MBNut.

Again Big Grin
"Tinc" Wrote:Reminded me of a night ride in the snow/ice with Lagging & MBNut.

Big Grin Big Grin I remember it well