This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbo trainers
buying my first turbo trainer for the winter looking at the `cycleops jet fluid pro` any thoughts or other options greatly appreciated many thanks, mick
I have the tacx satori.  Very simple, very good as you can change resistance.
Sorry for the thread hi-jack.  What did you go for in the end?

I've been given the all-clear to ride a static bike (wohoo!) so am thinking about a turbo trainer.  I don't suppose anyone has one i could borrow for a few days / week so I can see how I get on with it?  Or one they are selling?  Or any slightly cheaper recommendations?

Thanks
Hmm I thought there were quite a few keen turbo trainer users on here!

Does anyone know if the difference between something cheap like the Jet Black Sport Trainer is worth buying?  What will I miss out compared to something like the Tacx Sirius

Derek you said you went for the Satori - did you do much research?  Does it fold up?  Its a lot more than I wanted to spend but i guess there's no point buying cheap and buying twice.

Any advice gratefully received!!

Oh and I presume you can run normal MTB tyres on these things?
If you have the space, have you thought about a spin bike? They seem to sell quite cheaply on Ebay. Also you wouldn't have to replace your drive chain twice as often due to wear.
Ive got one you can borrow for a couple of weeks and see what you think? Its this one, although I paid £100+ change for it.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Adie - unfortunately space is at a premium so it needs to be a folding turbo

Treacle - thanks for the offer.  How do you find it?  If you were buying again would you get the same one or different?  I presume its OK with the MTB?
I've got the same one as Treacle, based on recommendations from the forum last year.  I used it a dozen or so times through the winter, and now need to clear some space in the shed so that I can start using it again.  It's the only one I've ever owned/used, so I don't have any reference for comparison, but I'm happy enough with it.  It has plenty of resistance, with 5 different levels that can be controlled via the bar-attachable remote, and I always use level 2 or 3 (5 being the most difficult).  The resistance seems fairly natural too.  If I were going to spend big money, I'd get one that had tilt built in, so you I could ride out of the saddle more easily.  I've read that turbo trainers put a lot of strain on your rear triangle, so I've limited my time out of the saddle with any side to side motion.

I've only used it with my road bike, but I would assume MTB would be ok.  You're supposed to use the supplied skewer, which is a standard QR that fits both 130/135mm spacing.  If you have a 12mm rear axle or the like, you're probably out of luck.
I have no issues with it. Pretty quiet, adjustable resistance and easy to setup, folds fairly small. Not tried it with the MTB purely because the knbblies just buzz and its loud, will be fine with a slick tyre on though.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"pittgoat" Wrote:Hmm I thought there were quite a few keen turbo trainer users on here!

Does anyone know if the difference between something cheap like the Jet Black Sport Trainer is worth buying?  What will I miss out compared to something like the Tacx Sirius

Derek you said you went for the Satori - did you do much research?  Does it fold up?  Its a lot more than I wanted to spend but i guess there's no point buying cheap and buying twice.

Any advice gratefully received!!

Oh and I presume you can run normal MTB tyres on these things?

Research......yes, loads as usual before i buy anything.

Satori has great reviews from everyone using.  Also I use rollers for constant load pedaling, I wanted TT for hills, & the satori has high resistance levels.  MTB tyres - no, I use slicks on a spare wheel for mtb, dont use mtb tyres.