This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris King BB
Yo guys, i want to purchase a chris king BB for my marin wolf ridge build, not knowing much about these things, what do i need to know?! Are there any sizes i should know about other than knowing the bottom bracket is for mtb rather than road?

Cheers

Neil
"Slow.Norris" Wrote:Yo guys, i want to purchase a chris king BB for my marin wolf ridge build, not knowing much about these things, what do i need to know?! Are there any sizes i should know about other than knowing the bottom bracket is for mtb rather than road?

Cheers

Neil

You need to know what width to buy, whether it's press-fit or old fashion screw in, also what kind of cranks you have so that the new BB fits the cranks. That's about it I think.
Get it fitted in a shop and ask them to face the frame to make sure the bearings sit square. Had mine a year or so now and it's buttery smooth after a few Wales trips and plenty of mud
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Blinking flip :o
They ain't cheap are they! :o
"impished" Wrote:Blinking flip :o
They ain't cheap are they! :o

Nope, but you'll never need to buy a new one.
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Get it fitted in a shop and ask them to face the frame to make sure the bearings sit square. Had mine a year or so now and it's buttery smooth after a few Wales trips and plenty of mud

Ahh the good old face the frame debate, i seriously wouldnt bother its a waste of money and does not affect how the bearings sit.

At £100 that could buy me 4 shimano ones, which i usually change once a year, i cant see how one of those would last 4 years and you have to regularly grease gun them.
If they are as good as their headsets (which do need fitting properly) then money is okish, if they are anything like their hubs, walk away. Seeing as there is a new BB standard every 3 weeks, you are unlikely to get 4 years out of one as Buzz mentions unless you like keeping frames for a long time or only buy a new one with the same standard

Ceramic Hope one would be as far as I would go if wanting an external HT2, you can get them in different colours as well which is the main thing...
"Buzz" Wrote:Ahh the good old face the frame debate, i seriously wouldnt bother its a waste of money and does not affect how the bearings sit.

At £100 that could buy me 4 shimano ones, which i usually change once a year, i cant see how one of those would last 4 years and you have to regularly grease gun them.

Once a year!!? That must be the 3 times weekly Surrey Sand, or they don't seal very well.
"Buzz" Wrote:Ahh the good old face the frame debate, i seriously wouldnt bother its a waste of money and does not affect how the bearings sit.

Bromley Bikes did it for free as I bought it there so figured I may as well while they fitted it,
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Get it fitted in a shop and ask them to face the frame to make sure the bearings sit square. Had mine a year or so now and it's buttery smooth after a few Wales trips and plenty of mud

I think I had/have a tool for just this porpoise (unless someone borrowed it and never gave it back - insert thoughtful stroking chin smiley here. NB I'm not talking about any one on here), thats if you wanna chance it yerself.

EDIT:

as Mr sponge says below its pretty specific - its for a screw thread, won't work with a push fit BB IIRC (unless it does!)