This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miss skids Knee
Miss skid did this at afan last weekend. Came off on whites level the part of the energy section where you head though the woods managed to lose the front wheel face planted and take the stem to the knee. Had to cut the ride short and head back on the fire roads as couldn’t bend leg and still can’t bend it much a week on. Not surprisingly has asked for some knee pads for xmas. Defiantly reinforced the need for knee pads for me on more technical/ fast  rides like this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />   
Ouch!! Looks really swollen, has she got fluid build up too? Last time i came off and landed on my knee i cot fluid build up under my kneecap which was excruciating! Hope she heals up soon. I'm stunned you both rode Afan with no knee pads though, i rarely ride blean without pads after all my stupid offs.
Looks painful!

Amusingly I was skim reading some issue of everyones favourite incorrect MBR on the can yesterday and they had a mini trail guide of Afan and I specifically remember it saying no need for pads and thinking, yer right, its quite rocky there! (I wouldnt ride without them there)
ow, Carron Valley claimed a similar victim this time last year. It took a couple of months before things were getting right again. Pads now used religiously on both knee and elbow. It might take a while before you can get the pads over the swollen knee tho!
Keep it foolish...
"Treehugger" Wrote:Ouch!! Looks really swollen, has she got fluid build up too? Last time i came off and landed on my knee i cot fluid build up under my kneecap which was excruciating! Hope she heals up soon. I'm stunned you both rode Afan with no knee pads though, i rarely ride blean without pads after all my stupid offs.
think your right about the fluid build up. As for pads i was wearing the ones we got for her last year but she never like wearing them normaly think this has changed her mind though, going to head into bike tart and try a few different pairs on.
Get well soon Ms Skid!

I got the 661 Evos the other week from BT. And now they are another 5 cheaper! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.biketart.com/670/products/661-evo-knee-pad-d30.aspx">http://www.biketart.com/670/products/66 ... d-d30.aspx</a><!-- m -->

Don't think I could ride without now. I've only ever bashed my knee on my top tube or stem and the pain is worse than funny bone clonking. But yeah, evos are nice, one of my knee has a slight rubbing in them but i'm guessing its down to fitting them on me right/getting used to them.
I have to say I cannot recommend the 661 veggie range enough, I was wearing my shinpads the other day at the warren when I saw you, I admit I dont have the knees but if you buy both the shins and knees they will velcro together.

They probably wouldn't be up to much abuse in any sort of DH but because there is no real hard plastics they are fantastically ergonomical. I barely notice them when I ride and thus wear them on nearly every ride! Plus in the winter they are a great insulation!

But they would definitely prevent that sort of thing, or at least mostly, you wouldn't get any cuts, maybe some bruising, but I imagine the pad would absorb most of it Smile
Matt, if she dosn't like wearing them due to rubbing, then get some Sudocrem, it completely stops any rubbing, and is also good for preventing saddle sore too.
thanks guys think we just have to try to find the best fitting one for her, the evos do look Comfy and use of cream like Andy said would help. The main reason she never wears any was simple because in the years she’s been riding she never seems to hit her knees.  Undecided