This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you seen this?
If you have just paid cold hard cash for an iphone 4s don't click the link!

However i'm sure this should cheer some people up - the mail online have priced up the iphone 4s. Here is the article.

I guess everything has a markup price to cover R&D, production and design etc etc -  but this takes the biscuit methinks
I do appreciate that I get a mac book pro and iphone as part of my job. Hopefully I'll get my i4 upgrade before xmas too. At least if I drop this one, I've broken two 3's so far, I can offer them £25 to replace it.

Trouble is if I ever leave HX i'll hate going back to windows Sad
Seems bad but think this would be fairly normal mark up if this is the price from production cost, also what price does the phone shop buy them off apple for and you think we pay 20% vat on the final item. They always use to quote CD cost 50p to make back when they sold them for £16 and that 30% of the final cost of perfume was the price to advertise it. Retail is a crazy world with lots of people along the chain taking a cut
Agreed that does seem excessive mark up >Sad

That figure's no use without a comparison though; I bet it's a similar figure & mark up on a Samsung Galaxy SII, just using physical build costs.
All the same components without the software would be pretty much useless though, unless you could port an Android or similar ROM straight on to that existing setup?
Its an Apple product, rich people will  buy it regardless of price

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Amazon-...13953.html
"Breezer" Wrote:Its an Apple product, rich people will  buy it regardless of price

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Amazon-...13953.html

Ah but a Kindle is useless without books to furnish it so Amazon can afford to make a loss on that product to tie you into buying books from their store at a healthly profit.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Software development costs (the purchase of Siri is rumoured to have cost $1-200m alone), marketing, staff costs, import taxes, shipping, royalty payments (Nokia get $5 for every iPhone sold), various admin overheads will all bring the cost of the phone up. Ridiculous article expecting a product to only be worth the sum of its parts, that's the Daily Mail for you.

I bet the Galaxy S2 doesn't cost anymore than $200 to make, but no one would whinge about that because it's not as much fun as Apple bashing which for some reason seems to be coming a daily occurrence on here. YAWN!!!!!!
"General Sparks" Wrote:Software development costs (the purchase of Siri is rumoured to have cost $1-200m alone), marketing, staff costs, import taxes, shipping, royalty payments (Nokia get $5 for every iPhone sold), various admin overheads will all bring the cost of the phone up. Ridiculous article expecting a product to only be worth the sum of its parts, that's the Daily Mail for you.

I bet the Galaxy S2 doesn't cost anymore than $200 to make, but no one would whinge about that because it's not as much fun as Apple bashing which for some reason seems to be coming a daily occurrence on here. YAWN!!!!!!

interesting. I was just thinking how annoying it is that this place is so pro-Apple. All I read is people harping on about how they "just work".
What isn't up for debate is the fact that Apple is a company which is only out to extract large sums of money from people. Just like every other company I can think off. Which makes all that leaving tributes outside of Apple stores when whathischops died bloody embarassing.  Big Grin
Well the number one remit of any large company will be to maximise shareholder wealth and you will find that pension groups are usually the biggest stakeholders in most of the largest corporations so any negative effect on their earnings or value will have a big impact on the value of people's retirement pots.
its a bit of a non-sense really, we could all go out and buy the bits for £112 but we couldnt make a phone out of them, actually we probably couldnt go out and buy the bits, we would need base materials, tooling, moulds etc etc first.
I cant really justify complaining about the cost of stuff I cant even begin to make for myself.