This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is There Life Elsewhere In The Universe?
Aside from Sheppey, and Strood.
I reckon there must be. law of averages and all that. and if there is, what's to say they aren't millions of years further down the evolutionary path and armed to the teeth?! Hmmmm.
Apparently the are 10 to the seventh power of detectable extraterrestrial civilizations just in our galaxy  Wink

Life or intelligent life? Two different questions.

Life - of course there is, no doubt about it.

Intelligent life - That is a different matter. There's bugger all down here on earth (to paraphrase the Monty python galaxy song).

Try the "Drake equation" (google it Steve).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
I'm with you both, simply must be life out there, and I think it's unlikely we're the only planet lucky enough to have evolved into something useful.
With luck we'll find planet solely inhabited by gorgeous amazonian chicks who wish to procreate, ala James T Kirk's find (the lucky tike).
Of course, that raises the question; "how would there be a planet full of women if they couldn't already procreate?" but that's for another time - man's gotta dream Big Grin
Undoubtedly life out there, almost certainly intelligent life too.
Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't believe in UFOs but I'm certain there's life out there.
If all life was created in the big bang, other intelligent life would be at the same kind of level of technology as we are. 100% sure they are out there but the distances involved is mind boggling, so doubt anyone on this plant will see them in there lifetime.  So Mark I think you are safe from all the teeth  Wink
We don't even know much about some of the pretty bloody large animals in our oceans - those Killer Whales seem quite clued up for starters! So I'd like to think there's intelligent life outside our little planet.

You never know, we may find out on December 21st 2012. Something to look forward to! I always thought I'd do well in an apocalyptic event  Smile
You would have to be fantastically arrogant to think we are the only intelligent life in the entire galaxy. Just hope they dont have big teeth and want to use them on us!
"Treehugger" Wrote:You would have to be fantastically arrogant to think we are the only intelligent life in the entire galaxy. Just hope they dont have big teeth and want to use them on us!

I'm pretty sure all the major religions (aside from FSM) don't believe in in life elsewhere. only one garden of Eden and talking snakes I suppose.
"Blackers" Wrote:I'm pretty sure all the major religions (aside from FSM) don't believe in in life elsewhere. only one garden of Eden and talking snakes I suppose.

That's Harry potter isn't it.... Wink Tongue
I love how the insurance mind set assumes that if they've had more time to evolve they must of spent it evolving bad things Big Grin

If you accept the fact that we are here as a result of a fantastic set of coincidences (we think) then what makes you think that all those could have been replicated elsewhere in the same order & timings?

If you ignore that & assume that in other tiny Goldilocks Zones around other stars the same amounts of the same stuff collided in the same order to produce a similar habitable planet to ours then the chances are that the evolution was equally similar - therefore they'll look like us.
Especially since we are a very good shape to do what we do.  So you should be safe from the teeth Andy Wink

I'm not convinced there's any arrogance in thinking we are a collection of offspring born of a massive string of coincidences played out over billions of years is there?
Perhaps there is arogance in thinking that as we've spent merely a few millon years inhabiting what amounts to a speck of dust in the corner of eternity & a few hundred working out how some of the stuff we have here works that we spend our time looking for "life" according to our definition. Undecided
Perhaps there is arrogance in thinking that we are so great that we can't just cannot be here by chance alone, & if that's your thought process you are off into the dark, dusty & frankly twisted world of religion.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to think that there is other "intelligent life" out there, but I'm not sure we as a species could deal with actually knowing the answer.  On top of that there is little chance we'll ever find out.  We're roughly 3/4 of the way through the habitable life of Earth, so chances are we'll never know cause our planet won't support us long enough.
Equally given the arguments above neither will theirs.

Having said that I quite like the sound of Jay's planet & as it's just as likely (or unlikely) as anything else I'll go with that I think.
I'll explain the lack of men in one word - Morlocks.  Sorted - let's all move to Amazoina ;D ;D