This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashley Marathon training thread
So this will be my thread to keep you all updated on my training and how i'm going. Two more weeks and it'll be quite boring but I'll try keep it up.

Started training this week. Saturday ran 5k in 33 mins, then on Monday run 5k again but this time picked up the pace to get down to just over 28mins. My initial plan was to run 5k every other day for two weeks before starting to ramp up the time spent running and the distance.

Today presented a free afternoon so I took the chance to do a 'long slow run'. The idea here being to run for as long as possible in time but not to worried about distance. I decided that I'd run from home to the gym, then run on the treadmill, then run home. So door to door distance is 10.2k, there took me 30 mins and the return took me 28 mins. In the gym I ran for 40 mins and covered 5.7k. So total distance was 15.9k total time door to door was 1 hr 55 mins 33  seconds. This time does include the time walking into the gym, logging in and starting up the treadmill, then back out again.

To say i'm pleased with this distance and time after virtually no regular exercise for quite a while is an understatement. I'm not going to get carried away just yet, but I feel that not playing football has helped as the last two marathons Ive kept playing 6 a side during the week and full games on Sundays which always meant I was carrying a knock, a bruise or a strain. Today I felt fresh and pretty much pain free.

I did have plenty of fuel for this run as I had 5 slices of Pizza hut at lunch  :B I only had a few prawns for dinner though. I'm now going to reward myself with a pint of Tribute and an early night.

Rest day tomorrow, then probably 5k run of Friday.
Why dont you write a blog?
web skills like bike maintenance skills, no idea how? Although I guess I could google it easy enough.
When ever I run I always get shin pain and cannot walk for ages as the muscles are pulled at the front. Wish I could run as far as you mate.
Well done Ash, good luck with the training and keep us updated with progress and know doubt a justgiving page.

I'm going to try and get your trail down the hill a bit further over the winter Wink
"mashley" Wrote:web skills like bike maintenance skills, no idea how? Although I guess I could google it easy enough.

Its really easy. It took me about 20 minutes to get to grips with it...and then i wrote endlessly.
"UphillDownDale" Wrote:Well done Ash, good luck with the training and keep us updated with progress and know doubt a justgiving page.

I'm going to try and get your trail down the hill a bit further over the winter Wink

Cheers Mike. It has been cleared of all over hanging branches and trees all the way down to the bottom, it just needs raking out and some features building. I'll show you one day soon if you want.

Mark, I have no idea what causes that, but I do know that running long distances is sometime just a case of learning to deal with the pain to get to the end.

Blackers, what site did you use. Sarah reckons I should blog it as well.
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:When ever I run I always get shin pain and cannot walk for ages as the muscles are pulled at the front. Wish I could run as far as you mate.

Try here

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://running.about.com/od/commonrunninginjuries/a/shinsplints.htm">http://running.about.com/od/commonrunni ... plints.htm</a><!-- m -->
&quot;Deadpool2e&quot; Wrote:When ever I run I always get shin pain and cannot walk for ages as the muscles are pulled at the front. Wish I could run as far as you mate.
Ditto. I get massive calf pain every time i try running on the road. Well done Ash, keep it up.
Its quite likely you'll get aches and soreness if you do a high impact exercise that your body isn't used to.  Build up slowly and gradually and the chances are the pain won't be too bad and will wear off

Ash - great start to the training, hope you can keep the momentum up!