This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MTB Slicks
I hate to do it but this is a what tyre thread. It looks like I will be commuting on an old singlespeed mtb so can anyone recommend me some mtb slicks?

So far i have considered schwalbe marathons and big bens. I don't want to be paying a fortune (<£25 each) so the cheaper the better.
Specialized Crossroads Armadillo are probably on the edge of your budget. I have had them for years, ok with rolling resistance and not light but virtually indestructible and very resistant to punctures. As a cummuter I would rank the latter high, I wouldn't skimp a few pounds and be late at work and/or late back home.
Oh Jon, nooooooo! Wink
Jon,

I've just put Continental SportContact City MTB from wiggle on my commuter and so far am very pleased with them, early days yet though! I think they were about £18 each and are almost half the weight of the previous old tyrrs that were on there..

Andy
Specialized Nimbus are very good.
I have 1.5" schwalbe city jets, they are brilliant. Never had a problem with grip and fairly puncture resistant. £11.99 each on wiggle but have found them cheaper before. On my 3rd set normally get about 3000km out of them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-city-jet-mtb-tyre/
I'm currently running some Marathons in their widest size, 47c I think. I've had them for a year and a half, and have had only one puncture, which was a nail. It held air for the ride and I only discovered the flat later. They are pricey, very heavy, and don't ride very smoothly. Even considering that, I'm happy with them. I originally had some Spesh Armadillos that eventually developed a tear in the sidewall, after running them for about 2 years, with a couple of punctures as the tread wore thin. In the interim I rode some normal Contis, and had 4 punctures in three weeks.
Another vote for armadillos from specialized here. Gf had them on her commuter for the last three years, no punctures, no problems. They are heavy and tough and may be hard to fit but if you're relying on them To get you to work then you can't go wrong. I think hers were 32s on 700 wheels, but I imagine the 26" is built the same
Keep it foolish...
I switched to a pair of Maxxis Detonator 26" x 1.5" the other week. Had the first puncture while commuting I've had for months. They're not great for cornering in damp conditions either - learnt that the hard way when I first used them a couple of years ago. And considering how the weather is only getting colder... Oh and they're utterly useless when you want to take that bridleway shortcut.
sirromj Wrote:Had the first puncture while commuting I've had for months. They're not great for cornering in damp conditions either - learnt that the hard way when I first used them a couple of years ago. And considering how the weather is only getting colder... Oh and they're utterly useless when you want to take that bridleway shortcut.
Ok I get that, they are not great.

sirromj Wrote:I switched to a pair of Maxxis Detonator 26" x 1.5" the other week.
But I don't get why you use them (again!)?