This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£1,000 to spend on a Full Suss
Looking for some opinions...

I have £1k to spend and I want to get a full susser. I know the rule of thumb is stick to hardtails at this budget but I feel that recently it has become more viable to get a FS for under 1k. And I already have a HT.

I have to spend it at Halfords but Halfords can source most brands, but only at RRP. So 2008 bikes are out of the question sadly. And I cant top up the 1k to go for something more expensive.

I was planning to get the Boardman Team FS but Halfords are now suggesting they wont be availabe until March or April.

The latest WMB rates the spesh FSR XC comp and a Trek something or other highly. But both come with a sub standard Tora fork which I would need to upgrade. The Boardman has a Reba and arguablya much better spec all round and is good to go as it were.

So...what the hell do I do? Part of me wants to wait for the Boardman but I am also impatient!

(Or there is the option of getting the Boardman Pro HT I suppose, undoubtably a stunning bike)
bit of a bummer you can only spend it in halfords as evans have got a specialized pitch comp coming in at just under a grand

cant it be spent on a 08 boardman? as most companys have downgraded their spec and kept the price  Undecided i expect boardman will do the same

EDIT : the Gt idrives are just 1p under your limit, jon (papa smurf) has one and from what i understand its his pride and joy Big Grin Click here
Wait for the Boardman, nothing else comes close spec wise plus it has decent forks, its a four bar design etc. The top HT is great but you already have a HT...

Boardman FS'ers are new for 09 Steve plus the Pitch is a lot heavier and not really an XC bike as its longer travel, more of a play/thrashing bike
"Breezer" Wrote:Wait for the Boardman, nothing else comes close spec wise plus it has decent forks, its a four bar design etc. The top HT is great but you already have a HT...

Boardman FS'ers are new for 09 Steve plus the Pitch is a lot heavier and not really an XC bike as its longer travel, more of a play/thrashing bike

no wonder i couldnt find them  :B

the i-drive seems quite well specced recon u-turn fork, fox rear shock all for 1p under a grand  Big Grin, im sure someone will come along to correct me on this if im wrong :B
Ill take a look at the GT as it certainly sounds better specced than the Spesh and Trek. But as Breezer says, the Boardman is way ahead on spec. It is also lighter than the other options as far as I can tell. Its about 29lbs.

The problem with waiting for the Boardman is that they keep putting the release back. they were originaly supposed to be in store in November...then December...then end of January...and now March.........

And in the meantime im stuck with a hardtail fitted with V brakes and crap wheels (and full SLX and carbon bars so it aint all bad).
Ah spec smeck, it's all going to wear out anyway!

But before it does... You'll end up replacing it for something 'better'.. We all do it
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
The weather and trails will be crap until June so i'd bash away on the hardtail and work up a decent level of tech and fitness and then rag the trails with your shiny new Boardman FS when it arrives....

One thing you have to remember when buying a new bike...  take your time and get the very best you can as you will own, love and ride it for years to come... the Boardman FS is the best for your type of riding... a 4 - 8 week wait now for a bike you will own for 4 - 8 years is well worth it...

I'll stop lecturing now...   as i'm no better... new brakes i don't really need on order   doh
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
That sounds very sensible advice Mbnut......  until you read your bike list   Wink
&quot;impished&quot; Wrote:That sounds very sensible advice Mbnut......  until you read your bike list   Wink

Ah now you see my bike list is what enables me with such wisdom... i have no regrets about any bike i've bought... and i do love them all and only ever sell anything to friends so i can ensure its going to a good home...

I'll be putting some pictures up of ones i need to sell to cover the cost of the upgrades to the Whyte when i get a new laptop.

Seriously though it is best to wait and grt the right bike...
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Papa Smurf&quot; Wrote:Ah spec smeck, it's all going to wear out anyway!

But before it does... You'll end up replacing it for something 'better'.. We all do it

I agree with Jon, get the bike you want not the bike because of the spec. Having a frame you want will make you want to love it and keep it for longer. You WILL upgrade it and replace things.