This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down Hill Riders - Are there any here?
Quite a lot of new members recently so thought I would post up and see what the interest is for DH and play bike type stuff. Would be nice to get a regular group together to hit the usual spots and perhaps build some new stuff.
So are there any dh riders here?
Im referring to dh exclusive riders really, as the 'occasional use' types are just that, which makes getting a regular group together all that more difficult.
I'm not exclusively DH, but have done good in a lot races. I don't think most people pigeon whole them selfs. I just like mountain biking....
yea i know, i was just wondering who rides this sort of stuff routinely, and by that I mean most of the time, seems its just me and jimmy, I know other people 'dip in' but for the most part 95% of the rides posted by me and jimmy just end up with me and jimmy riding.
Ive been looking into gaining access to local woodlands, with a view to legal trail building, dont get too excited I havent scored so far, but anyway would just be nice to see who is interested and perhaps get weekly Perry/Aston/PORC/R/Barham etc rides going.
I realise Im in the minority here only doing the occasional pedal round ride, so this is really to try and drum up some enthusiasm and/or assess how much of a minority it is.
I try not to categorise my riding, i just ride my bike, i wouldnt ever stick to strictly dh because i feel the venues around the south east are far apart and to few of them. The ones that do exist are hardly what i would call serious dh, i think i would get bored sticking to one type of riding.
"Buzz" Wrote:I try not to categorise my riding, i just ride my bike, i wouldnt ever stick to strictly dh because i feel the venues around the south east are far apart and to few of them. The ones that do exist are hardly what i would call serious dh, i think i would get bored sticking to one type of riding.

+1. I like DH and do it as often as I can as its this area where I am trying hardest to improve, but I enjoy anything that just gets me out on the bike. I doubt you'll find anyone on here that exclusively rides DH.
As you know I am about as far away from DH as a mountain biker could get. But I am still going to contribute  Tongue
I would bet that every single top line Downhill rider also rides other disciplines too. Especially fitness based disciplines. I am sure that you will be a better DH rider if you go into each run with a good all round level of fitness born from a wide variety of riding. For this reason I suspect that somebody who only rides DH is in a very small majority...especially in the flat south east.
Do you really get no pleasure from trail riding? I've seen you ride recently and you got up the hills very well and you didnt look unhappy either. I can't say the same for your Vice Air Marshall who clearly needs a granny ring though  Wink
"Blackers" Wrote:As you know I am about as far away from DH as a mountain biker could get. But I am still going to contribute  Tongue
I would bet that every single top line Downhill rider also rides other disciplines too. Especially fitness based disciplines. I am sure that you will be a better DH rider if you go into each run with a good all round level of fitness born from a wide variety of riding. For this reason I suspect that somebody who only rides DH is in a very small majority...especially in the flat south east.
Do you really get no pleasure from trail riding? I've seen you ride recently and you got up the hills very well and you didnt look unhappy either. I can't say the same for your Vice Air Marshall who clearly needs a granny ring though  Wink

LOL! My bike and I like going down hill and I like that we both like going down the hill more than we do going up the hill ;-)

Problem is trail riding doesn't offer the same thrills it once used to so now it tends to be very pedally, a bit like XC round the Olympic track.

EDIT: I now need to find an air marshal badge for an avatar ;-)
VICE Air Marshall. Know your place or I will demote you to Rear Gunner!
Does the desire to ride quicker and quicker not produce excitement in trail riding? I look at the videos of Russ riding and reckon that must be an incredible feeling.
I do prefer DH and freeride stuff but know that to ultimately get better I need to do uphill riding also, and do enjoy the riding around Surrey hills.
"Blackers" Wrote:VICE Air Marshall. Know your place or I will demoted you to Rear Gunner!
Does the desire to ride quicker and quicker not produce excitement in trail riding? I look at the videos of Russ riding and reckon that must be an incredible feeling.

If the trail is pointing downward yes. I really think going up hill is overrated, be it going up hill fast or slow.