This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KingsWood trail fairies
Anyone on heer been building at Kingswood recently, there is a trail that we have been working on that has recently been added to near to a bomb hole, its all looking great but would be good to know who has been helping on the trail. Im not going to post where the trail is but would be good to meet up down there sometime, PM me if you think this might be you ?
May I ask, do you have permission to re-arange the trails @ Kings Wood ?

If not then I would suggest that you don't, or if you do then keep it quiet.

The last thing that I would want to do is spoil anyones fun but surely we are privaliged to be able to use all of the trails up in Kings Wood. Other Woods have had trails "cut off" to mountain bikers, I would hate for this to happen everywhere if the Forestry Commision think that bikers are "vandalising" their land.

I might be speaking out of turn because I do not know all of the facts but I do think that we all should be aware that we share these natural playgrounds with other people and wildlife and we should not start trying to take over or we might get pushed out all together.

I'm not having a go, just merely raising a point.

Happy riding.
No one is rearranging the main trails, these are ones well off the beaten track.  Its not affecting trail riders or walkers, if they come across them they can easy ride or walk down it like any other trail.
"mtbkinginkent" Wrote:May I ask, do you have permission to re-arange the trails @ Kings Wood ?

If not then I would suggest that you don't, or if you do then keep it quiet.

The last thing that I would want to do is spoil anyones fun but surely we are privaliged to be able to use all of the trails up in Kings Wood. Other Woods have had trails "cut off" to mountain bikers, I would hate for this to happen everywhere if the Forestry Commision think that bikers are "vandalising" their land.

I might be speaking out of turn because I do not know all of the facts but I do think that we all should be aware that we share these natural playgrounds with other people and wildlife and we should not start trying to take over or we might get pushed out all together.

I'm not having a go, just merely raising a point.

Happy riding.

Hello,

The trail being mentioned is not somewhere that anyone will ever walk through and even if they did they would see that nothing is being damaged, a bit of soil is being moved and some leaves being raked. The forestry commission have seen us there and had no issues. Walkers would probably enjoy walking down it as its an area that previously was covered on leaves and not walkable

I agree with the point you are making but in this case it does not apply.

Si
Cheers Si, glad you see my point and don't just think that I am being an arse.

Have a good'un !
there is an article in MBR about 'illegal' mountainbike trail building.
I think a lot of people do it out of frustration because either a) there is nothing suitable they want to ride or b) the stuff that is provided is lame.

If it wasnt for a lot of the illegal building there would be a lot less trails to ride, and that includes pretty much all of the better stuff at blean and other local xc venues.
By riding it you are condoning it, which for most of east kent means unless you are on a bridleway you are illegally riding a footpath, or an unsanctioned trail.
The stuff that is available to ride always isnt enough for the pioneering riders who seek to go bigger and push their riding etc, the only way for that to happen is to build your own stuff, that pretty much always means doing it where it hasnt previously been allowed/accepted/considered. But without the riders who take these risks and build this stuff I would suggest the majority of the sanctioned stuff wouldnt be available to ride today.
The problem with illegal building is that it is pretty much always rushed which results in badly built trails, which gives the riders even more of a bad rap, as not only are the trails unsanctioned but they look a mess and can often be dangerous.
I guess the considerate illegal builder has to pick his location carefully, you wouldnt build through a particularly sensitive area, but whats the difference in putting a trail through a coppice area, if the forestry people are happy to run massive machinery through it a few mountainbikes is neither here nor there.
The "building" ive done is quite literally clearing a route with a rake "off piste" and marking out a trail using fallen branches/logs left over from harvesting etc. If you build large jumps or north shore then expect to get that ripped down for obvious reasons. I have also opened up a long footpath before which was left buried after harvesting.
"pioneering riders"  Big Grin
"Blackers" Wrote:"pioneering riders"  Big Grin

i am talking about the riders who got the forestry people to sanction their illegal trails in the first place, plus the freeride movement.
There were lots of guys who risked jail, particularly in the states to get trails sanctioned, if they hadnt have dont that and carved the way then other forestry organisations wouldnt be allowing access now.

EDIT: on second thoughts i would argue that anyone who builds in a new spot is pioneering as they are doing something that the majority are not, taking risks, putting in effort and providing for the majority.
Building in an area which isn't accesible to normal public but is still fc land, if you compare this to people that camp out and leave fire pits or remains, or scouts etc that build shelters from wood and foliage, where's the difference. It's wrong when people start putting jumps on footpaths or bridleways etc. Moving dead wood and soil around in an area that is unused is actually making use of an area which was previously unused by a bit of creative gardening etc. In my mind I can't see this is illegal, unless you're damaging trees that have had some form of maintenance etc then its not criminal damage. Building mud jumps etc isn't an offence. I stand to be corrected but I'd say in the criteria above its actually legal in terms of criminal law. Forestry comission land is open to the public so I can't even see a civil offence, I stand to be corrected but am I missing something ?