This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Years targets, 2012
Technically 2011 is not over yet but as there are only 20 days left and the weather is not likely to play ball I'm starting the 2012 one.

This time last year I just wanted to learn how to hit jumps drops etc. Well, that was easy enough. Next year I have a few specific goals and as Aston Hill and even Woburn Sands will be my local riding venues I'm aiming high.
  • Sub 1 minute 30 on the black run at Aston Hill (current PB is 1:41)
  • Hit Road Gaps, perhaps the one at Aston Hill on the 4X course.
  • Race Aston Hill.
  • Visit a world class downhill venue.
  • Fewer injuries, as this year I missed out on a lot of riding. Also, each injury came right as my confidence was peaking and subsequently knocked it back down.

I'm also reserving the right to modify this list throughout the year, but these are definitely my goals going into it.
mine are simple and different this year,

1. build up the strength in my Knee (been injured for 5 months)

2. Get fit and lose some weight

3. Ride more!
Well... first day back at work for 2012 and here are my targets...

-   Get out on the bke at least twice a week trying to cover 30/40 miles. (especially through winter - summer I aim to do more time permitting)
-   Beef up the heckler and build up a lightweight 100/120mm mile munching full suss
-   Pick up a decent road bike to begin commuting (32 miles a day) to work once light permits in the evening
-   Ride more places in the UK - make the effort to go away.
-   Start running.

Smile
OK here we go for 2012 then.

Become a better trail rider, I need to improve many things but cornering and leaning the bike more are first on the list.
Stop buying bits ??)

Sketchy specific targets
Overtake Derek uphill
Overtake Russ downhill
Overtake Nigel to the bar

2 out of 3 of these I think are achievable Wink
Id have to agree with Mike that this year its going to be more about personal improvement than spangly bits. Want to limit racing to short XC enduros (2-4 hours like the Gorrick rounds) and spend some more time trail riding and improving on pretty much all aspects, especially after a Jedi session where everything just seemed to click and become easy. I sense a lot of sessioning this year!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Mine is clearly fitness, 2011 was a write off. Im now much more sorted and raring to go.

Im looking to simply get out more, and also train a hell of a lot more.

Ive entered an online Turbo Training challenge - A turbo session a day for January, this will get me back on track.

So currently its:

Turbo Session Every day (mixed interval training and normal spins) - aiming at weight loss.
MTB Twice a week, increasing as we lead into better weather.

Im also looking into doing some long distance walks, as we are planning to to do the 3 peaks also this year (but not in 24hrs!)
Rest/recovery is a very important part of any fitness plan, you shouldnt do more than 3 or 4 days without a rest day. Turbos are good but mostly for intervals only. If the roads are dry/its not raining then find a 1hr road loop using quiet back lanes which you can do 1 or 2 nights a week. Have all your lights ready etc so less faff. Knowing its a short loop will make it more inviting to go out and do it plus if you can find one with a couple of long hard hills in, you can keep track of your split times up them and use them as hill intervals etc.
"Breezer" Wrote:Rest/recovery is a very important part of any fitness plan, you shouldnt do more than 3 or 4 days without a rest day. Turbos are good but mostly for intervals only. If the roads are dry/its not raining then find a 1hr road loop using quiet back lanes which you can do 1 or 2 nights a week. Have all your lights ready etc so less faff. Knowing its a short loop will make it more inviting to go out and do it plus if you can find one with a couple of long hard hills in, you can keep track of your split times up them and use them as hill intervals etc.

Work matey - not good this time of year, I have the turbo setup infront a screen for Sufferfest or Turbo website, its my best chance at this current point in time. I totally get what you are saying though.

You are correct re rest, I will still gently spin on rest days though to meet my targets.
Actually do some riding. Havent ridden since i moved in march, bikes been sat at my parents place gathering dust all year Sad
"matt" Wrote:Actually do some riding. Havent ridden since i moved in march, bikes been sat at my parents place gathering dust all year Sad

Get yourself to Oldbury soon! Long time no see!!