This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
commuting bike
I need to get a bike to get me to & from the station every day, not going to leave my East Peak there as I know it won’t be there when I get back, so I want a good quality fairly light nippy Hybrid I guess that comes with or can take mudguards but that doesn’t instantly look as though it is worth someone nicking.
I’ll probably use it for blasts across town as well as the morning run to the station & back.
Got a reasonable budget of up to £150 or so.
Any ideas please? Would need to suit me at 6’2�

Thanks Andy
I'd go to argos and get the cheapest thing on offer.
[quote="]I'd go to argos and get the cheapest thing on offer. [/quote"]

Either that or cheap second hand.  If you get new it'll look worth nicking even if it is fairly cheap
Trouble with a new one is it will probably attract the sort of person looking to take it!
However out of interest I had a look at Argos surprisingly this one <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3323241/Trail/searchtext%3EBIKE.htm#pdpFullProductInformation">http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... nformation</a><!-- m -->
Looks quite good for the money, although they cant seem to decide if it is 26" or 700c wheels! anyhow it only comes in one size so it wouldn't do me.
I'll keep looking for a second hand one I think..

Andy
I needed similar a few months back but just for some bits from it. Just did an eBay search with a maximum distance radius and waited for something to come up. Ended up with a late 90's specialized rigid thing which would have been perfect for what you need. £35!
Go through the freeads & pick yourself up a 80's "racer" for £20 or so.
You can then pop a flat set of bars on with a pair of cheap levers & off you go.

Comfortable, functional, no one will look twice at it & it'll be less than £50 all in.

Admittedly you may have to wait for a bit to find the right frame size, but the old steel frames will take a long post & were never short on reach.