This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS or not to NAS, that is the question
Calling all Geeks (Or anyone with IT knowledge).

Im trying to find a good solution for backing up all media. I need a fair amount of space for pics etc so 2TB starting point is a minimum. Id like to be able to have the backup at my parents house so in the event of Burglary of house fire etc i dont loose all my images etc. I dont know a great deal about this sort of stuff but from what i have read i think NAS would be the way to go so it can be accessed via the internet. I dont need to stream media as such but need to be able to write to it via the internet and download the odd file etc now and again.

Money is tight so id probably only be able to afford 1 hard drive at the minute and then maybe a second to have a RAID backup incase the hard drive dies. I will also have all the images on my home laptop.

Ive been looking around and found this

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AIWOXY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d3_g147_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0JM44GTNKSPFEVKWZ139&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294">http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... d_i=468294</a><!-- m -->

Most of the bad reviews are for MAC which i dont have.

So what i need to know is whether the people in the know think the above would fit my requirements or whether there are any better suggestions.

Cheers for all your advice
Why not store an external HD in a fireproof safe or backup everything on DVD and transfer it when you visit the folks. The thing you have to take into account is the bigger the had drive, the more you can store on it, the more you lose when it fails!
NAS doesn't mean available via the internet, NAS = Network Attached Storage, this is storage accessible via the network, normally local network (what it says on the tin really). You could do some crazy router higgery jiggery to access it on teh interwebs but I see little point.

Buy yourself 2 externals HDDs, then backup your data, and every time you visit the parents take one with you and swap it for the one you left there last time and just repeat every time you visit.
The thing that made me think of the nas enclosure was also reliability, I was under the impression that standard hard drives are more reliable than external ones ?, it also means I don't have to faff around with taking laptop down each visit which sometimes aren't that regular, fire proof box is another idea Si but would again I worried about reliability. Other reason is so family can access pics of kids etc

Jimmy, on the specs and website I linked to it says its pretty straight forward to access and share files on net with it, do you think it would work the way I wanted it too ?
&quot;Si.Ozzy&quot; Wrote:The thing that made me think of the nas enclosure was also reliability, I was under the impression that standard hard drives are more reliable than external ones ?, it also means I don't have to faff around with taking laptop down each visit which sometimes aren't that regular, fire proof box is another idea Si but would again I worried about reliability. Other reason is so family can access pics of kids etc

Jimmy, on the specs and website I linked to it says its pretty straight forward to access and share files on net with it, do you think it would work the way I wanted it too ?

External hard drives are just internal hard drive encased in a plastic box. The only reason for external hard drives to be less reliable is because they get knocked about more, also, those little plastic enclosures are not always the best at cooling which also reduces the hard drive life span.

The one you linked to will most likely require signing up to some online service through which you data will be accessible from the interwebs. That said, you will then either be accessing your data directly from your home which will require the disk to be plugged in and always turned on, or it will synch with disks in the cloud (aka teh interwebs) and will eventually incur additional costs. Also, if accessed directly from home it will be slower than Andy's nan down BKB.

Don't buy into their silly marketing gimmicks! If you want NAS (Storage available via the network) then buy a NAS box. If you just want storage that's easy to manage and almost certainly guaranteed to perform better in a home environment get a plain old USB external hard drive.

Now to really through a cat amongst the pigeons, google SAN (It's not NAS in reverse, even though it is ;-) ) You definitely don't need this lol
What Jimmy said plus bad time to be buying hard drives due to the mass shortage from the thailand floods, they have doubled in price. Other minor issues to consider are things like, if you are planning on leaving it running at your parents and accessing it from your house, they will need a static ip which isnt common on most home accounts, also if you want to upload photos to it, a say 5Mb 10mpix pic will take anywhere from 1-3 minutes depending on the speed of your adsl's upload, thats a shed load of time to upload a new album...

Just keep the files on your laptop then have a pair of external usb hard drives, back up to them, leave one at your parents and everytime you go there swap it for the other one, bring it back home and update it
If going down the usb hdd route, what backup software is best? Free of course ;-)
I just do that sort of thing manually as its only folders of photos etc. Built in backup in any version of windows would suffice as well, dont need anything fancy
My two pence worth.

I have a 2tb western digital NAS at home. I back up the computer and laptop to it once a week. It also stores all my DVDs as backups so I can stream them round the house.

Its good but its no the important off site backup. So I also have a 1tb external that lives in my desk draw at work. I take it home once a month (or more if I do something important) and back up the files then bring it back to work the next day. This is by far the cheapest and easiest solution.

For sharing your photos it is unlikely that you will want to share them all, so those that you do simply up load to a photo sharing site like Picasa by Google. I mention that one because it is the one I use and it is really simple to do.

Lately what Breezer says about hard drive prices is correct, really bad time to be buying one. I was looking for a 250gb internal drive to replace the one in my friends PS3. I brought one beginning of the year £32 it is now on the same site for £63!!
Sign up for a drop box account to get a few free gig of online storage that you can access any where and also allow it to share certain files. Not as good as the hard drive back up already suggested but you can even get a drop box app for your android phone.