This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
itunes help please
I have two computers, a NAS Drive & a Sonos music streaming player. For all the right reasons I wanted to save all my music to the NAS drive so I dont have to have a computer on to use my Sonos. Simples I thought, I'll just one of the itune folders onto the NAS then copy in the additional albums straight into that folder (all via windows explorer)
This works as far as the Sonos is concerned but the problem lies when I now plug my ipod into the computer as it doesnt recognise any of the additional albums because it hasnt created its own library database file for them. Is there a way of tell the ipod software to create a new database file, based upon all the albums now in that file or will I just need to import them all again properly

Hopefully that will make sense to somebody
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:I have two computers, a NAS Drive & a Sonos music streaming player. For all the right reasons I wanted to save all my music to the NAS drive so I dont have to have a computer on to use my Sonos. Simples I thought, I'll just one of the itune folders onto the NAS then copy in the additional albums straight into that folder (all via windows explorer)
This works as far as the Sonos is concerned but the problem lies when I now plug my ipod into the computer as it doesnt recognise any of the additional albums because it hasnt created its own library database file for them. Is there a way of tell the ipod software to create a new database file, based upon all the albums now in that file or will I just need to import them all again properly

Hopefully that will make sense to somebody

Reason number 5,423,420 not to invest in apple products.

Surely you can just configure itunes to look for music in location \\nas\shared_folder ???
I have a similar set up, but I stream the music via either PS3 or internet/DAB radio.

I found iTunes a pig to work with when setting the default folder as being located on a network drive.

My solution, run itunes the same as you normally would (ie music in c:\documents\my music etc), then run a back up program to make a copy of it on the NAS drive and point the streaming equipment at that. Works perfectly with the added bonus you also have a backup of your music.

(this may not work if you have a lot of music with DRM. I don't have any)
If you're not too bothered about having the ipod sync auctomatically and not bothered about transferring the albums manually to the ipod, there is a software that allows your ipod to be displayed as an external HD thus allowing you to swap and change the albums as and how you like without the need for itunes to be running - if this makes sense and if this is what you mean, if not then ignore my rambling.
Map network share to local drive.
I think I have found the solution.. If I open up windows explorer & navigate to where the albums are on my NAS, then I open up itunes, all I need to do is drag & drop my albums folder onto the music column in itunes & it will apparantly re-index everything I have stored on the NAS both old & new
[quote author=]

Reason number 5,423,420 not to invest in apple products.

Surely you can just configure itunes to look for music in location \\nas\shared_folder ???[/quote]

yep, thats how I've set itunes up. Everything I import is set to the NAS drive, but the problem I had is that it was using the inex file I had copied from MrsLaggings laptop which then didnt recognise any of my albums. Hopefully the above solution will rectify this  Big Grin Big Grin
Following on from Mr Reloads comments, itunes is just about jacking me off now for many reasons.  >Sad >Sad
Can someone recommend a software that is easy to use, can import albums and keep them in Albums (as opposed to thye itunes method which spreads them over different folders if they are co-written). Hopefully will import my current itunes library so I dont have to re-install what I already have. I dont even mind paying for software if its worth it..
Albums by various artists? Just tick the box to say it is a compilation and it will put them altogether.
"redwinnie" Wrote:Albums by various artists? Just tick the box to say it is a compilation and it will put them altogether.

Not really its a single artist that has named co-writers. For example. I've imported Robbiw Williams Greatest hits for MrsLagging & its put it into 15 different Albums.
Which box it this you speak off & when do I tick it  Undecided