This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Tyres For Muddy Conditions??
Hi there, quick question. Can anyone tell me what they think are the best winter tyres for muddy condtions??. I ride in and around the Canterbury area in the local woods and the clay soil being very sticky and water retentive is making me work harder that i would like for this time of year (and fall off more). I currently have a pair of Mountain Kings MKII 2.2 fitted which dont seem to enjoy local muddy condtions too much. Any suggestions??.

Thanks
Adam
what do you want, grip or faster rolling? You cant have both, there is always a trade off. If you go for more grip to fall off less then you will have to work harder to pedal them.
Most folk will run either an intermediate tyre for easier rolling or a full mud tyre. The best trail tyre for muddy conditions is a trailraker but it needs to be proper muddy and it will be much harder to pedal along than your current tyres.
Everyone will have their own opinion, but look for something with larger spacing between knobs and a firm compound, the trails around canterbury are not rooty, the firmer compound that would see you sliding off wet roots at other locations will help keep up momentum around canterbury. Finally I would also look for something that has shallower centre knobs to help keep you moving but with a definite shoulder which will bite when the tyre does start to slide.
Something like a nobby nic or nevegal would be a good intermediate choice for faster rolling, or a bontrager mud x for better traction, they will all bite better in the mud than your current tyre but as I said they will be harder to pedal around.
Personally I would go with a smaller size nobby nic as an allrounder, i use the large 2.4's but then i dont pedal around very much.
Hey Adam, welcome to the forum. I personally think that Panaracer Trailrakers are the best mud tyre, but others swear by Bonty Mud X's. I borrowed some Bonty 2.2 XR4's yesterday which were superb in the Clows and Thornden mud which was very thick and claggy in places, so I may have to get some of them and avoid the TR's as long as possible.

By the way, there are LOADS of what tyre threads on here, so try the search button at the top, but your new so I'll let you off this time Wink
MBUK (or maybe MBR) did a big tyre test a while back, decided that a pair of Specialized Storm 2.2" were almost as good as 'dedicated mud tyres' for about £20 each.

As Andy says there's plenty of Tyre threads on here, many are utterly huge & would take a fortnight to read tho.
Here's a recently updated one; Tyres, what you running?

As a general rule of thumb, many run slimmer tyres in winter conditions, so if you're normally on 2.3's try something like a 2.0-2.1; skinny tyres cut thru the top layer of clag, where a fat tread will often skip/slide across it.

I run a 1.95" Trailraker on front and a 2" Maxxis Medusa XC out back, works a treat for my riding style & local conditions.
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:MBUK (or maybe MBR) did a big tyre test a while back, decided that a pair of Specialized Storm 2.2" were almost as good as 'dedicated mud tyres' for about £20 each.

As Andy says there's plenty of Tyre threads on here, many are utterly huge & would take a fortnight to read tho.
Here's a recently updated one; Tyres, what you running?

I thought storms where only 2.0 folding or 2.3 DH wire bead?? i have been looking into getting the 2.3 and running tubeless but i hate wire beads...
Storm is a full mud spike. That's overkill! You wouldn't run wetscreams round the local woods would you?
[quote="]Storm is a full mud spike. That's overkill! You wouldn't run wetscreams round the local woods would you?[/quote"]

yes
[quote="]Storm is a full mud spike. That's overkill! You wouldn't run wetscreams round the local woods would you?[/quote"]

Actually, the XC version of the Storm is like the DH Hillbilly, but I certainly wouldn't run a DH storm unless I was doing just DH. (Never looked at the XC storm until now).
i have been also looking at Hillbillys as they are like a cut spike. would run wetscreams if i cut them down but im not doing that.
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:yes

Why? You'll need to fill your camelbak with syrup to keep the pedalling motion up.