This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blean/Church Woods
Hi,
I usually head out into Church/Blean woods but stay pretty much clear of the RSPB routes at all times - generally I am out about 8 in the morning. yesterday I went for a walk with the family and saw plenty of fresh tyre tracks and people cycling on all of the routes. Now I am just as guilty as the next man of using cheeky trails but midday on a Sunday is a bit much on paths that are narrow and often blind at times. The rule is clearly to go slow but I just wondered if many people do this regularly and what sort of reaction they get. Also does anyone know of any plans to use Clowes Wood as some sort of man made track venue - I would like to get involved in creating some kind of purpose built/longer track here.

Sorry if I have come across a bit aggresive staright away but just wanted to raise an issue which may cause
debate.

Thanks,
Richard.
Personally, the only times I venture onto the "walkers only" routes is during night rides.  I use the other side of the woods during the day.
I haven't heard of anything official with regards to Clowes trails..  I'd be up for a bit of shovel work there though.
I always went exploring rather than riding on the footpaths, its only those that get lost or fear of getting lost ride around on the footpaths, he knows who he is reading this.
"Buzz" Wrote:I always went exploring rather than riding on the footpaths, its only those that get lost or fear of getting lost ride around on the footpaths, he knows who he is reading this.
You cheeky sod Wink  I actuially know quite a lot of singletrack round there now actually Tongue

I admit that when i first started going over there i used to use the walking trails all the time, because i do have the worst sence of direction in the world, ever, but now we mainly just use them to link up bits of singletrack into a long loop. In the 2 and a bit years i'v been riding over there i haven't had any trouble whatsoever with the walkers, but that's probably because i have a Hope Pro 11 which is so noisy they here me coming 5 miles away Smile Also we mainly ride there in the evening, when most sensible people are at home relaxing after a hard day instead of trudging round a cold and muddy woods.
I'd beware Richards first post complaining about bikers on footpaths. I sincerely hope he is a genuine chap looking to get involved. but all too often on kite forums we get bird watchers posting things trying to get info to use against us. Maybe i'm just cynical, but it is an odd first post, no hello i'm new, just straight into something which is obviously a sore point. The fact the you mention the RSPB routes makes me think Twitcher. Hope i'm wrong and if i am i'll have a slice of humble pie and welcome you to the forum.

If not then we must be scoring some google points to be getting random posts from interested parties...

I only ride Blean in the dark.
"Legless" Wrote:I'd beware Richards first post complaining about bikers on footpaths. I sincerely hope he is a genuine chap looking to get involved. but all too often on kite forums we get bird watchers posting things trying to get info to use against us. Maybe i'm just cynical, but it is an odd first post, no hello i'm new, just straight into something which is obviously a sore point. The fact the you mention the RSPB routes makes me think Twitcher. Hope i'm wrong and if i am i'll have a slice of humble pie and welcome you to the forum.

If not then we must be scoring some google points to be getting random posts from interested parties...

I only ride Blean in the dark.

A very odd first post indeed...  
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
resim
I must admit my alarm bells rang a bit with that one.  Care to explain, rjj?
is a strange first post and hasnt been back and replied since.   so i take it the relationship between walkes and bikers has got no beter since i was biking
I do ride on footpaths sometimes which I agree is technically wrong but I always stop for walkers or ride past them really slowly and attempt to say hello. I believe if you are like that there is never an issue. As with everything there will always be people that don't slow down, thrash past people walking with their young kids then do a massive skid in front of them which ruins the name/image of mountain bikers in general

Some however like the lot that look after Ashdown Forest wind me right up. Bikes are banned from it however horses are allowed on certain routes. They say this is because bikes cause erosion.......have you ever looked at what a horse does to a path in the winter?  >Sad