This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Recording
Been doing some home recording, hoping to get a decent USB mic soon so I can record direct into the MAC rather than via a separate multi-tracker.
Any way, dont know if anyone else plays but here are my first efforts.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://audioboo.fm/sailor_74">http://audioboo.fm/sailor_74</a><!-- m -->
nice work dude, well sung too. My skills are far too poor to be released to the public
Keep it foolish...
just playing around at the moment, hope to improve recording quality in the future.
How are you currently recording it?
at st Paul's cathedral judging by the reverb  Wink
Keep it foolish...
[quote=&quot;]How are you currently recording it?[/quote&quot;]

all recorded into a cheap portable multi track recorder, 2 of the 3 songs were just live takes, one was recorded as two tracks then mastered.  Im planning to get a USB mic and record direct into garageband in future as its a bit easier to use and can hold much more music than my rather old multi-tracker which is very limited my its storage card.
&quot;alkali&quot; Wrote:at st Paul's cathedral judging by the reverb  Wink

kinda suits the song........and hides a multitude of sins!

The guitar is a Gibson Hummingbird, just one of my collection.
[quote author=]

all recorded into a cheap portable multi track recorder, 2 of the 3 songs were just live takes, one was recorded as two tracks then mastered.  Im planning to get a USB mic and record direct into garageband in future as its a bit easier to use and can hold much more music than my rather old multi-tracker which is very limited my its storage card.[/quote]

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-USB-Simultaneous-Multitrack-Recording/">http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-U ... Recording/</a><!-- m -->

There are also some nice mixers with USB capability available for pretty reasonable prices. IMO, an updated multi-track recorder will probably deliver the best results unless you don't care about recording it in one shot, in which case I'd go for a USB mixer such as the Behringer 1204USB

I'm not sure a USB mic is going to offer much. Can you even get professional USB mics? Perhaps an XLR - USB converter unit?
garageband is capable of pretty impressive results in the right hands (although probably not mine!), and I thought MACs were particularly good at media processing. I would only be looking at one or two guitar tracks plus vocals so it should be ok. I have an 8 track digital multitracker, but i find it isnt particularly intuitive.

As for mics im looking to get either a Blue Yeti or an Audio Technica AT2020, leaning towards the yeti at the moment.
[quote author=]garageband is capable of pretty impressive results in the right hands (although probably not mine!), and I thought MACs were particularly good at media processing. I would only be looking at one or two guitar tracks plus vocals so it should be ok. I have an 8 track digital multitracker, but i find it isnt particularly intuitive.

As for mics im looking to get either a Blue Yeti or an Audio Technica AT2020, leaning towards the yeti at the moment.[/quote]

Intuitive like how? Surely you're adding effects post recording?