This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knife sharpening
How's the best way to do it or get it done cheaply. Our kitchen set need some attention (so i dont have to buy new ones)
Go to a department store or even somewhere like the new Sainsburys (Im sure we sell them there - we do everything else!)

Buy a knife sharpener, I know you said cheap but if you spend a bit more on one it will do a much better job and you'll be able to use it in the future anyway.

Go home.

Sharpen knives ;D
Depends on the knives.... high carbon are good and worth sharpening, cheap knives won't take or hold an edge....   either way sharpen and if they aren't great bang a good set on your wedding list.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Buy a good sharpening steel (which is best combined with a good knife or two). Or if you are friendly with a proper butcher or chef they may do it for you.
If the blade is blunt you'll have to get it back on a whetstone. Then to keep it sharp use a steel everytime you use the knife.
&quot;Jams&quot; Wrote:If the blade is blunt you'll have to get it back on a whetstone. Then to keep it sharp use a steel everytime you use the knife.

What he said. Also be sure not to use them on really hard surfaces like glass worktop savers, they muller the blade.
What they said ;D

Under no circumstances let anybody anywhere near them with a grinder or other "hot" option :o
Get yourself a Jewelstick, about £10 keep my Global ones in tip top condition.
&quot;Longjon&quot; Wrote:Get yourself a Jewelstick, about £10 keep my Global ones in tip top condition.

Get some Global Knives at the same time!  Tongue
Got mine off my brother when he gave up cheffing, bargain, mind you they have had a hard life